Random Flashback ii

Saturday, January 6. Two years before Jane and Jerry committed suicide.

CORA'S POV

"Everyone in the car!" My mother, Jane, yelled.

"Ow!" I screamed when my friend jokingly slapped my back to hurry up.

Me and my three friends, Danny, Sophi, and Catherine, along with my parents, all jammed into the three person pickup my dad Jerry drives. It was a stick shift and squeaked whenever it shifted gears, but that's we could afford, so we got used to it.

"Hey Mr. M can we ride in the back of the truck when we get out of town?" Danny asked.

"Well, you see Danny-"

I nudged Danny, "My dad isn't the person to ask, my mom is the crazy one!" I yelled.

"Well, no Cora," my dad said, " I can be crazy too, it's just not safe,"

"We all here?" My mom asked, just getting into the car.

"Hey Jane, when we get out of town can we ride in the bed of the truck?" Sophi asked.

"Um..... HELL YEAH!" She threw her hands in the air. My dad grunted, annoyed, but didn't say anything.

We pulled out of the driveway and headed towards my aunt's house for some late night snowmobiling.

It wasn't that late, it was just dark, in reality it was only like 6:30pm. We went by McDonalds and got a ton of cheap food. In order to do that, though, Danny and I had to lay down in the back of the truck so there was a place to put the food.

You see, I kinda liked Danny at this point cause I thought he was cool due to the fact that he was two years older than me, he was 15. He had jet black hair and snake-bite piercings. Sophi was 14 and Catherine and I were both 13.

When we got out of the city, Catherine and Sophi joined us in the back of the truck. We always rode back there so we already had three flashlights stuck in the window so we could see.

"This is some damn good food Mrs. Mortem!!" Sophi yelled and we all laughed.

"I dare you to throw your cheeseburger at the windshield of the next car the goes by," Danny whispered to me.

"Um, hell no," I said.

"Why, chicken?"

"No, this is just a really good cheese burger!" I smiled.

"If you don't be careful you'll get fat!" Catherine warned as Sophi was downing her second burger.

"Oh!" I yelled, "Look what I brought," I reached into my backpack and pulled out 4 jumbo RedBulls.

"Woah!" They all said in unison, so I laughed.

"It's not really that cool, we drink them like every weekend."

Catherine reached for hers but I pulled it away and explained how they were for later.

"What's later?" She asked dumbfounded.

Danny, Sophi and, I looked at each other. Did we really forget to tell her? I guess it made sense. She didn't have a phone so we couldn't have texted her about it.

"What?!" She asked, getting anxious.

We all laughed and huddled toward the back of the bed so my parents didn't hear.

"We are planning to take the truck tonight and see if Danny can actually drive a stick shift like he constantly brags about," Sophi explained.

"Oh! And we need the RedBulls cause we have to wait up until the adults go to bed," she whispered.

"Yeah, and they have to be really asleep cause of the squeaky gears," Danny said bragging about how much he knows about my car.

I rolled my eyes

"Hey, what's going on back there?" My mom asked, a little drunk.

"Oh nothing, just talking," Catherine said innocently.

"About what?" She pushed.

"Nothing!" I yelled.

"Sorry, Miss Rude!" She said rudely, like she always does.

We rode the rest of the way to my aunt's, just talking about random stuff, nothing really important. Just mocking my mom's taste in country music, she loves that stuff.

Oo........x........oO

"Ready?"

"Yeah."

"Ok..ONE..TWO..THREE!" Danny yelled and we all chugged our RedBulls.

"Ow!" We all screamed simultaneously, out throats burning. We knew it'd happen, but we did it anyways. We then snuck out of the basement door that was right next to where we were sleeping, and got into the old Pick-Up, Puff (like The Magic Dragon :). Danny started the engine, that wasn't that loud, then put it in reverse and backed out. He then changed the gear and it whined really loud, but I don't know if anyone noticed because we were out of there real fast after that. We went up a hill and took a left and right and headed closer to town and then back again. It truly seemed as if he knew what he was doing. That, and I hadn't gotten any calls from anyone so I doubt anyone noticed we left, it was about 5am.

"You gonna fall asleep, Catherine?" Sophi asked.

"Hahaha," she said sarcastically, "And no, I'm not even tired."

We make fun of her cause she goes to bed at 8:30 on weekdays.

"We can always get more RedBulls!" Danny waved a ten dollar bill in the air while still looking at the road.

"Eh, we should get back, Christian, my uncle, has to get up at 6am and it's 5:32am," I said.

They all groaned but Danny turned around and we headed back to Cathy, my aunt's, house.

Danny slowed all the way down before we got to the driveway so the squeak wouldn't be as bad when we got close to the house.