Chapter 1

I watched as I made my way across the road. The light of the full moon shone down on me, almost as if it was leading me into the silence of the night. I stopped and stared at the giant warehouse that stood before me. I made my way around quickly, looking for the entrance. As I was looking I saw her, the client standing in front of the entrance. I walked over to her noticing that her face was covered, preventing me from getting a clear view.

 "Did you call me?" I asked as I walked closer to her.

"You are late, young man" she replied.  "But no matter, I need you to go in there and clear this place out tonight."

"Yes, ma'am I will."

        We both made our way to the warehouse's entrance. As we walked she pulled from her pocket a key and then proceeded to unlock the door. The doors slid open quietly. When I looked in I was unable to see more then five feet into the darkness. I began walking forward into the warehouse, when I heard the voice of the old lady I turned back to see the moonlight illuminating her. Catching a glimpse of her face, my brain registered the fact she was Caucasian.

"Some of them are rabid," She simply said as she closed the door, leaving me unable to say another word to her.

          My arms gripped my pack tighter, knowing there was no way out until I finished the job. With that thought in mind I began looking for the targets, with my bag gripped tightly in hand. I moved through the warehouse, trying my best to avoid the near invisible crates and metal objects scattered around on the floor.

       The tension began to build up as my heart pounded away in my chest. I continued to search but couldn't find them. A thought entered my mind - they could have been placed up high, out of reach. I approached a pile of crates and checked their stability before I began to climb. I placed my bag on my shoulder and proceeded to climb the first crate. When I reached the top of the first crate, I looked up and saw four more crates towering high above me. After climbing three more crates I looked around noticing the shape of winged creatures flying silently in the upper warehouse.

 'Target acquired,' I think as I reach the top of the fifth and final crate.

      I removed my bag from my shoulder, placing it down on the crate in front of me and then placing my hand on it searching for the zipper for a few seconds until hearing the slight TING of the metal zipper hitting the metal teeth. Pulling at the zipper, I hear the the "ZZZZ" sound as it moves down the row of teeth until it stopped. I reached my hand into the bag just as the flapping of the wings begins. I get what I need out of my bag just in time to smack one of the flying creatures back into the darkness.

      Losing view of the flying creature I pulled my baseball bat back, my hands readied themselves to swing again. I heard the sound again and looked up I saw them, a large swarm of black bats. Leading the swarm, standing out from all the others, was a white bat. Its' red eyes staring at me as if they were glowing. I looked below the crate I was standing on and noticed the height was too great for a safe landing. As the swarm got closer I knew I had no other choice, I would have to use my gift.