Chapter 3: Belladonna.

Avery.

It takes some getting used to having a pregnant girl around again. I mean it was something like two years ago mom had Lily and Charlotte had Audrey. Speaking of Charlotte I hope she likes knows her ‘husband’ has contacted me from beyond the grave. He called me a few days wanting to know why his mom burst out in tears when he called her. I explained to him that some one called saying he was dead. Yeah he wasn’t too happy about that. He told his superior and his superior was pissed. But I’m not going to say a thing to Charlotte about it, that’s his job. Oh and I’m going to be an uncle . . .  Again. And her name is Juno, like after the Greek god Zeus’ wife. I thought it was cute. But then again alot was on my mind and I could have said the name Hitler was cute. I’ve been working my ass off since I’ve gotten here. Not just for school but Ace and I have become friends and since her baby’s dad isn’t around I’m helping her get all the furniture set up. And I’m driving her to Doctor’s appointments. I don’t care what people may call it, but I’m not doing this for her, I’m doing this for that kid because it deserves everything.

I sat in my psychology class learning about how many pictures our subconscious actually sees. Apparently looking at a picture of a flower, a pink flower. Sitting in front of a building there are hundreds of encrypted pictures. So far I’m acing this class. I guess it also helps the professor loves me. He says with a mind like mine, we could find a cure for any mental informality. I was shocked when he said that. I mean, I know I’m good at this class but not that good. But hey! It’s not every day a psychology professor says that to you. In your first week there.  I sat near the back where I usually did ever since high school. Some kids leaned over and passed me a note. I rolled my eyes at it. My fingers traced the folds and unravelled it. I gazed at the writing and sighed.

The only reason the teacher likes you, is because your dad is famous.

Oh yeah. That’s very mature for a college student to say. I crumpled the paper up and tossed it away. That’s the thing with being in the media eye all the time. You don’t know if you’re being graded for being smart or in fear of a temper tantrum. Same thing with friends. I’m glad my friends are fans of the band but they treat me and Charlotte as individuals that aren’t in the public eye all the time. And that’s what I like about Ace, she doesn’t care who my parents are. She’s my friend because we have alot in common. I mean like yesterday after classes, we had an hour long conversation on what sandwich to bring if you were ever trapped on a desert Island. She says a B.L.T but I say in the sun meat and vegetables go bad so I replied with peanut butter. And then it came down to smooth or chunky. I say smooth because I hate getting the small peanuts caught in my teeth and she agrees with me.

Class was dismissed and I made my way back to my room. The next class I have today is Biochemistry and that’s at noon. Right now it’s like eight in the morning and I just sat through a two hour class. Ace was at the apartment she was only taking one class and that’s engineering. She wants to become an I.T analyst for the B.A.U. She’s an amazing hacker. She’s hacked my computer from hers once or twice. Just to check up on my background. See if I was who I say I was. I don’t blame her but she could’ve asked. I forgave her for that. She sat on the couch with her text books open and a note pad full of writing. I smiled at her as I came through the door. For the time I’ve known Ace, I’ve never seen her with her hair down. It’s always up in a ponytail. She looked up from her books and grinned at me.

“Hey!” She greeted happily. I felt good knowing some one actually doesn’t mind my company. I smiled wider as I put my bag on the floor and sat down beside her.

“Hey.” I replied happily. Ace went back to writing down notes she needed for class. She missed one class due to a Doctor’s appointment and she needs to catch up and fast. She knew what she was doing. Ace knew alot about computers. She says before she came here she used to work for Geek Squad. It’s amazing what you can learn from a person by the way the take a class. She takes engineering very seriously so she wants a good future for herself and her baby. She’s passionate about computers so as a kid she must’ve had tons of access to them in order to take apart, identify the parts and put back together. I’d say she comes from a pretty rough past to want something this badly.

“How was class?” She asked curiously. Her question made me think of that note and how upset it made me. I thought things were going to be different in college but I guess not. I sighed heavily.

“It was good.” I muttered in response to her question. Ace looked at me; her muddy brown eyes lightened by the sun light that streamed in.

“Don’t bull shit me.” She uttered. God I hate the fact she knows how to read people so well. I looked at her for a long moment and smirked.

“Dude, that class starts at six in the morning on a Monday.” I logically lied to her. I don’t mind getting up early no matter what day it is. I know she didn’t buy it but we both pretended she did. There was an empty cup beside her. I think she was at the Sunny D again. God she goes through more of that stuff than vampires go through blood. I rolled my eyes and sighed a soft chuckle.

“More Sunny D, my lady?” I asked politely getting up to my feet again. Ace watched me intently. A smile ran her lips back widely.

“Its tea, I’m drinking.” She replied to me. I was actually shocked by this. She always goes for the fruit juice before the tea. But I guess she wants some tea today. And it’s the alternative for coffee. Since you can’t drink coffee while pregnant. I flipped the kettle on and got the mixture of some milk, two sugars and a Nestle tea bag ready in the mug for the hot water to be poured. I stirred the mixture together and toke the tea bag out, throwing it into the trash. I was actually really happy that things are going this well. I thought for the worst and instead I got for the better. I’ve called my friends apparently Ryan is going to the University of Manitoba. In Canada. Poor guy must be freezing his balls off there. He hates the cold. I have no clue why he’d want to go to school there. One of the coldest places on earth but he says they have a good justice system there. I handed the hot mug to Ace and sat down beside her. She sipped the hot tea cautiously. Wise. I watched as she finished up her notes and closed the note book. She sighed and rubbed her belly.

“He’s kicking up a storm today.” She muttered softly. I’ve felt him kick, it’s amazing. Knowing that there is a tiny human growing inside you. That they’ll need you forever and always. Ace has come up with a name for him already. Charles. Or Chuck. I like Chuck because no one these days names their kids Chuck. Plus I love this show on TV called Chuck and he has the exact same last name as Ace. So I think it’d be rather cool.

“I think it’s the tea. He may not be used to it.” I commented nicely. Ace giggled slightly and looked at me.

“I think it’s the lack of sleep I’ve been getting.” She added to my comment. Her remark worried me. She wasn’t sleeping? Why? I looked at her concerned.

“Why haven’t you been sleeping?” I asked curiously. Ace smirked and sipped the tea again.

“I don’t know. I’ve been sleeping on my left like I’ve been told too and I have a pillow behind me and one between my knees. I just don’t know what else to do.” She sounded worried and tired but she can’t afford to miss another class. Well at least engineering class is only an hour and a half then we’re done for the day. And tomorrow morning I can sleep in because I have Biochemistry all afternoon. From noon till about four thirty. I know! It’s such a long class but when you’re mixing chemicals together and hoping they don’t explode, the time passes very quickly. I looked at her and came up with an idea. I went to my room and pulled out a small vile of herbs. Belladonna. A sleeping sedative. It’s completely safe; it’s not harmful to women who are pregnant. I use it when I can’t fall asleep. I just mix it in with my drink before I got to bed and I sleep like a rock. I showed her the vile. Ace frowned at me.

“Are you sure it’s not addictive?” She asked curiously. I looked at her and frowned slightly.

“Would I be giving this to you if it was or if it could harm your child?” I asked her curiously. She thought for a moment and toke the small vile from me. I have a Belladonna plant growing in my room anyways; I only take what I need. I know it sounds like I’m a drug dealer but I’m not. Belladonna is completely safe and it’s legal. And my uncle Mikey gave it to me before I felt. I know. Security must’ve been a bitch but I told them what it was and they believed me. The guy said smart move and smiled at me. Ace and I watched some TV until engineering class.