Chapter 37: Prom Dress.

Charlotte.

Prom is in two days and I still have not got my dress so today we are dress hunting. Mom wanted to take me but LynZ, Alicia and Krista wanted to have an input about my dress. I think I’ve tried on about thirty dresses. I am exhausted and all I want to do is sleep. I’m still a bit upset about Avery leaving but I’m proud that he got into a college that offers a great computer program. I mean it’s Stanford for god sakes and he got in on scholarship. I twirled around happily in the dress. Mom, LynZ, Alicia and Krista toke me shopping for my prom dress. I wore the black strapless dress that was way above my knees. It had a heart shaped top and a black ruffled bottom. I looked like a gothic ballerina, perfect dress but not a good prom dress. I looked at the other girls and shook my head.

“It’s a bit gothic.” I commented. I’m sure they’d agree. LynZ nodded and looked at my mom.

“It’s nice for a funeral but not prom.” LynZ said. My mom looked at me and frowned.

“Yeah, try the next one.” Mom said sullenly. Alicia handed me the next one in line, it was like a Cinderella dress. Pail blue with the flared bottom and strapless top that was embroidered with white gems in a grape vine design. I slid off the black dress and hung it back up. I put the blue dress on and went out there with the back still needing to be zipped up. LynZ zipped me up and smiled. It came just passed my knees so most of my legs were covered but it didn’t touch the ground so I could show off my shoes. I twirled around happily and smiled at my mom. She looked at my aunts and nodded, they shared glances before giving me the thumbs up.

“You look amazing.” Alicia said happily. I blushed at her comment.

“Yeah honey, you look so grown up.” Mom added happily. I smiled at her remark and shook my head.

“I’m a kid at heart.” I uttered happily. We put all the other dresses back and toke the blue one up front. I was so glad that this shopping spree was finally over. I’ve been trying on dresses all afternoon and my feet are getting sore. We went to pay and go home. The dress surprisingly was very cheap. Trying to find a prom dress is hard on its own and I’m a size two which is another thing that made things a bit harder. I was really glad Blake and I got back together. And he asked me to go to prom well actually I asked him. Amy is going with Morgan her best friend. I was surprised when she asked him, instead of him asking her. Morgan has the biggest crush on Amy ever. It’s really cute to watch him do all these things for her and she is totally oblivious about it. Until I told her that he likes her and she felt like a complete idiot.  But it’s not her fault he didn’t come out and say it. I sighed as I sat in the middle of Alicia and Krista, mom drove and LynZ got shot gun. I’ve been trying to avoid the topic but I’ve applied for colleges all over the country and none have gotten back to me so I’m cool with that. Blake is going into the army which I am so not cool with but it’s his life not mine. I just wish he’d told me sooner. He leaves for training in a couple of weeks and I won’t get to see him during the day. Oh and we’ve already found a nice little apartment in a good part of town, not too far away from home. We’re moving out a week after graduation. I’m so glad things will be back to normal. I’ve applied for jobs and the only one that interests me is in a clothing store. It pays really good twenty dollars an hour for eight hours. I think that’s not bad, for me. And the rent for the apartment is three hundred dollars a month that’s amazing, especially for a two bedroom, one bath apartment. It’s mostly just going to be me staying there, since Blake will be at ‘boot camp’.

“So, what are you going to do after graduation?” LynZ asked, looking at me in the rear view mirror. I sighed and thought for a moment.

“Blake and I are renting an apartment and he’s going into the military and I got a really good, well paying job.” I announced sullenly. I got a bunch of expressions. Some neutral.