The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 28

Sadie

Rochester Public High School was in a slouch. The students were miserable about having their fun over Winter Break interupted, and the teachers were miserable because they had to bring the students back. I walked the halls alone, Ben and me still weren't speaking. Which is good. I don't want to speak to him.

Liar.

I was really starting to get looks now. From students, teachers, cafeteria lunch ladies. Everyone carefully studied my stomach as if it was a contestant for Miss America. Whether I was getting my books from my locker, solving an equation, or accepting maccaroni on my plate. Whenever I would sit down at a lunch table with a group of other misfits, they would scrunch up their noses and smirk, as if they were proud to have someone below them.

I don't worry to much about school though. Every day I rush home and check my email and voice mail, but each time there is no call from a young couple yearning for a baby. I didn't want to give it to an adoption centre, all the movies I had seen where a parentless girl gets sent to one the matrons are cruel and the meals are horrible, however most of them took place in the ninteenth century. I just think it would be easier if the minute the baby is born, I can hand it to it's new parents. Parents that will love it, and take care of it. Do everything that I woulnd't be able to do.

                                       *                                   *                                     *

"All right girls, let's take some time to talk about our social lives." Jen said as she sat down at the next Pregnancy Club meeting.

"Like, school?" Flame asked, and Chastity giggled and smiled at her. For some reason suddenly Flame and Chastity had gotten all buddy-buddy. Not that I was jealous or anything, but I hated the thought of her abandoning me and Aimee. Speaking of Aimee, she looked horrible. Her hair was flat and greasy, as if she hadn't showered in days. Her clothes were wrinkled, and she didn't have the air of importance that she used to have. She didn't bother to put on any makeup, and there was a huge bruise on her chin. The worst part was her eyes. You'd have thought she'd watched a war with those eyes. So lifeless, so empty. They had lost their deep brown mystery, now they just looked dull.

"School, friendships, enemies . . . everything. Let's just talk about the social scene." Jen instructed. "Tanya, would you like to go first?" Tanya had been able to arrive at the past couple meetings, maybe because she felt guilty for ditching us. Tanya looked up and clutched a picture of Kyle in her hands. "What's that?" Jen asked, pointing to the photo. Tanya looked down, and I figured that if her skin wasn't so dark she would be blushing.

"Oh, I take it with me whenever I'm away from Kyle. It makes me feel closer to him." Tanya says sheepishly. Jen dramatically puts a hand to her chest.

"Aw! That's adorable! You know I did the same thing with Elijah when he was first born." Jen's eyes drift off to a world a motherhood, but then quickly snaps back. "Anyway, Tanya, what is it like in school or outside of school for you?"

"Well, when Winter Break ended I was told that I had to go to school, so I went. My grandma is taking care of Kyle at home while I go to school, same with Michael. We both want a university degree so someday we can have good jobs to support Kyle, but I'm just hoping that Grandma Jo will live that long." Jen chuckles nervously. "Ever since I went back to school, I found that the teasing wasn't as bad as before. Maybe because if there's no proof there's nothing to make fun of. Not many people bother to make fun of me though, maybe they think that if they make fun of a black girl about anything it will be considered racist." Tanya was always very open about her skin colour, embracing it like a hug.