The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 19

Sadie

Well, the ultrasound didn't go as well as Chastity hoped it would. I knew it was a long shot to try and make friends with them.

Why don't you try for once?

What are you saying?

I'm saying that you always sit around waiting for other people to do something. You're all alone right now. How about you try?

You're saying that I should still try to be buddy-buddy with Mother Catholic and Madame I'm All That?

Yes.

Maybe I should. I don't have any friends other than Ben, and things are still awkward between us. If I was going to be social at all, I was going to have to hang out with The Pregnancy Club girls. Flame was out of the question, and Tanya had been skipping the past couple weeks to take care of Kyle.

I looked over at the clock and realized I should be heading to school. I grabbed my backpack of the couch and grabbed the Pop-Tart I had been toasting and ran out the door. My dad was in the driveway washing our own car, and I called a quick goodbye over my shoulder.

"Need a ride?" He called.

"Nope." I shouted as I ran down the block.

                                                                        *               *              *

I was walking the halls on my way to Algebra, when Ben came rushing around the corner, almost slamming into me.

"Oh! Sadie . . . hi." He mumbled as he shuffled his feet.

"Hey there, Ben. Long time no talk." I said bitterly and continued walking. I hadn't heard from Ben ever since I told him, and it kinda pissed me off. I mean, it's not like I wanted this to happen.

"Uh, yeah, sorry about that." Ben fell into step with me. "But I wanted to talk to you. About the baby."

"Okay, what do you want to hear?" I stopped and turned to face him. "Let's see, I throw up every morning, the thing kicks me at night so I can't sleep, my back is killing me, and I haven't pooped in like, the past three days. Anything else?" I snapped. Ben looked sad, and I felt bad for taking my anger out on him.

"Um, okay . . . but I was wondering if you had any luck finding the adopted parents." Oh, crap. I had forgotten about the ad, mostly because I had had no luck these past few weeks. Nobody seemed interested in harbouring a teenage girl's baby.

"Nope, nobody wants my kid." I snapped.

"Sadie y-you don't have to be so mean, I-I mean, I know this was my fault but I still want to b-be with you. I love-"

"Ben . . . " I cut him off. I knew what he was going to say, and I hated every letter of those three words. It broke my heart to hear him say this was his fault. It wasn't his fault, I should have been more careful, and thought the whole thing through. But I was too mad to tell him that. "I just think we should take a break. From being friends." I exaggerated the word "friends".

"What d-do you mean?" He stammered.

"I'm saying that I'm not in the mood to talk to anybody about my feelings right now." I explained, not mentioning how I tell everything to the Pregnancy Club girls.

"Okay. Fine." Ben muttered, grabbing a Jolly Rancher from his pocket, and then turning and walking back down the hall. I sighed. I didn't want to make him mad, and I wanted to talk to him. Heck, I wanted to love him, just like he loved me. But I couldn't let him in. People only end up breaking up anyway. Love never works out. I mean, look at my parents.