The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

I was sitting alone at my house, watching American Idol. I felt so lame, eating a bag of Dill Pickle chips and drinking Orange Crush. Honestly, I've never not done something on a Sunday night. But hear I was, alone, and lame.

Hey baby. Hey baby. I jolted up and grabbed my iPhone. I knew that ring tone. Josh had programmed it when we first started dating, so whenever he called, his voice would play. I looked at the caller ID.

It was him.

I didn't know if I should answer it. I mean, if I did, would that look like I'm desperate? I mean, we just broke up. But maybe he wants me back. Maybe he calling me to beg for my forgiveness.

I decide to pick up.

"Hello?" I try to sound casual.

"Hey. It's me, Josh."

"Oh, hey Josh." Still trying to sound casual. Pretend that nothing is wrong. I think to myself.

"Um, I was wondering," He started. Yes! He's going to say it! He wants me back! "When's a good time to come over and grab my things?" My heart drops. He didn't want me after all. He just wants to pick up all his crap.

"Oh." I say. There's nothing else to say. I don't want to give his stuff back! I still love him! "Um, how about tomorrow?" I suggest. "Or whenever you're free." I add. I don't want to suffocate him.

Actaully, I can suffocate him all I want. He's not my boyfriend.

"Okay, great. See you later." The line goes dead. I don't ever want to hang up. 

Stop it, Aimee. You're better than this. You are amazing, you don't deserve scumbags like him. He was a jerk.

Not surprisingly, my motivational speaking isn't working. I lie back down. I think about the first time Josh told me he loved me. It was right before the first time we had sex, four months after we started dating. We were in my living room, making out on the couch, when he whispered it, ever so softly. That's when I knew I wanted him. I remember the last time we did it, we were both completely hammered.I suppose if I knew I was going to get pregnant that time I would have wanted it to be more romantic, but it doesn't matter now. What's done is done. We were at Kody David's party, and after one to many tequila shots for me and two hours of playing Beer Pong for Josh, we were in Kody's guest bedroom, stripping each other of all our clothes. The next morning while I was in a hangover I forgot to take the Pill, and that's how this whole mess started.

                                                                *                *               *

The next morning I was folding all the items I was supposed to give back to Josh. An old sweatshirt he let me "borrow" on a cold night. His lucky harmonica he let me use for a bug English test we had (I only ended up getting a C), his favourite cologne, Drakkar Noir, and an old blue teddy bear that he one for me at a carnival. I had treasured it ever since then, but now I didn't even want to look at it. I shuffled through my desk drawers and threw in a CD of Josh's favourite band, The Who. I never liked their music anyway.

Suddenly I heard a ring on the doorbell.

I scrambled out of my room and down the stairs, but before I opened the door I composed myself. I smoothed my hair one last time, plastered the most un-fake smile I could manage, and opened the door.

"Hey." I said calmly. I stood out of the way to allow him through.

"Um, hi." Josh walks inside, looking around as if he'd never been in my house before. "I'm here for the, um-"

"Yeah, I know. Come upstairs." I said smoothly. I walked up the stairs, Josh tentatively following behind me, as if the entire house was contaminated with my pregnancy. I walked into the bedroom and knelt beside the stuff. "You can just sit on the bed for a second." Josh walked into the room and looked at the bed as if I told him to go jump in a pirhana-infested lake. He stayed standing up.

Are you kidding me? I wanted to scream. We've had sex in that bed like . . . three times! But I didn't, I knew that if I started freaking out, then I would look like the crazy one.

I picked up the box I had filled with his stuff and plopped it on his lap. He shuffled through it, looking at all the merchandise. He held up the teddy bear. Neither of us said nothing, for a few minutes, then Josh spoke.

"You know, you can keep this. I won it for you." He put the teddy bear in my hands.

"Oh, okay. Thanks." I muttered, when really I wanted to wrap my arms around it and snuggle it till I died.

I put the teddy bear on my dresser and sat down beside Josh. I fiddled with my charm bracelet while he stared at his feet.

"So, um. How are you . . . how are you feeling?" He murmured. I fugured he was talking about the pregnancy.

"Um, I'm . . . you know. Fine." I mumbled back.

"That's good . . . no morning sickness or anything?"

"No, not yet." I was actually hoping for the morning sickness to come, I didn't want to contain all the food I would be guzzling down.

"Thats good." We sat in awkward silence for another moment. I felt like crying. We used to talk for hours on end, and now we can't even come up with a normal convorsation.

"I should probably get going." Josh finally said. He picked up the box and stood up to leave. 

"Yeah, you probably should." I muttered.

"See you in school next week." He called over his shoulder as he left.

Crap. I had forgotten about school. Summer had to end sometime . . . and I had to face everyone sometime.

I watched Josh leave through my bedroom window, and thought about the trouble I was going to get into. I didn't want to go back, I wanted to hide forever.