The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 25

Sadie

Thank God Christmas was over. It was just an awkward morning spent with my dad, and it was even more awkward when he gave me the underwear.

That's right. My dad had actually bought me the underwear. Even though I was sure he wouldn't. When I opened I looked at him, blushing. He already was.

"You got it." Was all I could say.

"Yeah, well, it was what you wanted." My dad murmured. "Oh, and I got you something else, too. He went over to the door and brought back a set of bed sheets, for my bedroom. "I know you've been wanting a new room, so I thought I'd start you off." It was lilac, like the bedroom walls, but it had a trendy polka-dot pattern.

I loved it.

"Oh, uh . . . thanks. Dad." Was all I could manage to say. For once in my life my dad had actually tried. Maybe he did care.

Then why does he spend all his time holed up in the garage?

It's his job, idiot. Do you want to starve?

Job? Yeah right. Fixing our neighbours engine does not count as a job.

Is he making money?

Well . . . yeah, but-

Then it's a job.

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE WOULD YOU LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE?

I didn't want to be nice. It was still his fault mom was gone. She loved me. She wanted to stay. He made her leave.

"I hope you like it, Sadie." My dad held out the gift to me. I grabbed it, studying the pattern.

"I'm . . . uh, gonna go put this on." I walked up the stairs with the bed sheets, but I wasn't planning on putting them on. Not yet.

                                              *                             *                               *

Now it was Boxing Day, and instead of rushing to the store to grab the after-Christmas deals, I was driving to The Pregnancy Club to exchange gifts.

I was nervous. I hoped other people were giving everyone gifts. I didn't want to look like I'm trying to be the good girl. That's Chastity's job.

However when I walked in, Tanya, Flame, Jen and Chastity were already there, each with six presents at their feet. Yes!

Aimee wasn't here yet, but I had grown to accept that she was always late. Jen usually would just wait for her.

We waited for fifteen minutes.

"Maybe she decided not to come today." Tanya mentioned, her body here, but I could tell her mind was on her baby.

"Too cool to show up." Flame snarled.

"Hey! That's not fair!" I felt myself saying. Everyone looked at me. I wasn't one for outbursts. "I-I'm just s-saying, she might have had to d-do something important." I stammered.

"Alright, let's start anyways." Jen declared, but suddenly Aimee rushed in. But Aimee didn't look like perfect Aimee. Her eyes were red and puffy, and you could tell she had tried to cover it up with concealer. She just looked . . . defeated. But she took a seat and sat up straight, as if nothing was wrong.

"Sorry I'm late." She choked. Her voice sounded terrible.

"What's the matter Aimee?" Jen sounded genuinlly concerned, as always.