The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 12 (Picture of Peyton)

Aimee

"Are you ready to amaze everyone?" Peyton turned in her seat to face me. My driver, Charles, had just pulled up to my school in our Mercedes. I didn't answer. Honestly, I wasn't ready. Being pregnant is one thing, being pregnant and being dumped for it is another. Everyone would be whispering about what a loser I am, even though what they don't realize is that I am clearly superior.

"It's okay, Aimee. You are amazing. Better than anyone else here. Who needs Josh? He doesn't realize how amazing you are, pregnant or not."

"Thanks Peyton." I said, squeezing her hand. I took a deep breath. "Okay, I'm ready." I opened the door and shut it slowly, hoping that if my moves were in slow motion. I didn't have to worry about anyone noticing how awesome I looked, they were already staring. I was wearing my new Marc Jacobs skirt, with some yellow top I had gotten cheap at H&M (not that I was going to tell anyone that). I topped off the look with Jimmy Choo flats and my new Prada tote. Peyton looked good to in Miss Sixty skinnys, a bright orange BCBG tank top, Vivienne Westwood sandals and a Gucci tote, but was a simple mare next to my stallion.

I opened the car door and sauntered out, hoping if that my moves were in slow motion they would look cooler. My Chloe sunglasses shielded the sun, which was good considering the sweltering Septemeber heat.

I could tell everyone was staring at me. The hoards of teenagers on the front steps stopped their conversations to stare, dull pupils widening in judgemental disbelief. Crap, have they heard about my breakup?

What if they heard about me being pregnant and now they think I'm a slut?

Rumours at Blackwood Private Secondary School spread faster than they do in a walk-in closet.

"Have you seen Josh?" Peyton whispered, eyes shooting daggers at anyone who looked at me wrong.

"It's not like I'm looking." Actually, that was a lie. I was looking so hard my eyes were starting to burn. Thank God for sunglasses, they hide what only you need to see.

"Good for you. Remember, you are the better person. You are the winner." Peyton instructed. I straightened my back and raised my head, ignoring everyone beneath me.

"Aimee! Peyton!" I heard the someone squeal. Through the crowd Megan and Morgan Preston, twins, came running over. "Hey!" Said Megan. She had always been the more cheery and "in-your-face one". Morgan had always been more relaxed, observing the world through her misty eyes but never bothering to interfere. I prefered the latter of the pair.

"Hey." Said Morgan.

"Hi you two!" Peyton's mouth stretched in a grin, giving each one a hug.

"Hey." I smiled and did the same.

"So are the rumours true? Are you really-" Megan cried, but then Peyton cut her off.

"Shh! Um, maybe we should take this somewhere a little more, priavte?" Peyton suggested, glancing at the crowd of students behind us. Megan glanced over.

"Oh! Yeah, that's probably a good idea." Ruby embarassment painted her cheeks, knowing that her mistake was one of a rookie's, and we snuck over to a bench out of the way. "So it's true? Are you, you know, preggers?" Megan whispered. My blood froze. So everyone did know. I was going to be ruined. I looked at both of them. Even Morgan looked interested.

"Um . . . " I murmured. I looked at Peyton for help.

"Uh, Megan? Does it really matter? If you really care so much as to follow a rumor, than maybe I should mention that everyone knows you got a boob job over the summer?" Peyton shot at Megan, making her gasp. Megan tried to find her words, but she ended up just stalking off, Morgan following close behind her.

"Thanks." I said to Peyton, being honestly greatful.

"What are friends for?" Peyton smiles, a strange expression darkening her amber eyes, before flickering to peaceful happiness.

                                                                     *           *           *

Miss Tulley, do you wish to share your thoughts on the subject?" Mr. Jaffer, my boring History teacher was calling on me, even though he knows I wasn't paying attention. I had been worrying about Josh all morning, even though I haven't had a class with him yet, lunch was in two minutes and I would have to face him, in front of six hundred other students.

"Uh, no." I sat up straighter and waited for him to lecture me and then move on.

"Then I do wish you would pay attention more often, for I know we all love to hear your voice." The class giggled as I realized that was a dig in some lame way, even though I barely talk during class. Unless texting counts as talking. 

"Sure, whatever." I shot back, regaining my coolness. I already had all the students talking about me, I didn't need teachers too.

                                                                  *                *                 *

I see him. He's right there.

Josh was right across from my table. Usually I would be sitting with him, all his friends and Peyton, but today, and for the rest of my life, we were separated. 

Will the breakup affect my status? Will I no longer be invited to the cool senior parties? The college parties? Am I just like every other junior in high school now?

"Just ignore him." Peyton whispered when she noticed me staring, but I couldn't help it. I knew I looked like a desperate loser right now, and it's killing me.

Suddenly Paige Hanks, the sluttiest girl in school, sneaked up to Josh. I could tell by her sexy smile and his easy grin that they were flirting, and it killed me. Josh wouldn't go out with a slut like Paige though . . . would he? I didn't know, it was hard to keep tabs on a guy who isn't your boyfriend.

It's all the baby's fault.