The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 37

Sadie

"What?!" I asked incredulously. Chastity had just called to tell me that Erik wasn't the dad of Mira, some guy she barely knew was. And she didn't even mean to do it with him, she was drugged and raped at a party. Little Miss Perfect Life ain't so perfect anymore.

"Please, don't seem so surprised. It makes me feel ashamed." She whispered.

"You don't have a reason to! I'm gasping because I want to sock the guy who did that to you! Ugh, men are selfish pigs that only care about sex." I grumbled. I turned and saw that Ben had just walked through the door, holding a bag of Smartfood Popcorn, which I had told him to bring.

"I aplogize on behalf of my race." Ben chuckled, stepping over so he could kiss my forehead.

"Go wait on the couch, kay?" I whispered, moving the phone away from my ear.

"Erik wasn't a pig." Chastity began to cry, and I stood in my front hallway, not knowing what to do.

"Chastity . . . uh, don't cry. It's okay." I hoped that sounded comforting. In the many things my dad hadn't taught me, comforting someone was not one of them.

"I-I just m-miss him s-so much!" She cried.

Okay, new tactic. "Chastity, you and Erik were the perfect couple. Everyone knew that. And, if you loved each other as much as you did, and as much as everyone thinks you do, you guys will move past this. You just need to talk to him."

"What am I supposed to say? Sorry Erik I went to a party and got raped?! That kind of thing doesn't happen to people like me! It makes me s-sound so s-tupid." She choked at the end.

"Chastity! You are not stupid! None of this is your fault, everything that happened that night was his fault, and he's a sick pig if he thinks he can get away with that. First thing you're going to do: talk to Erik. Second thing: you're going to press charges on this Danny Whatshisface. Kapeesh?"

There was silence, and then Chastity spoke. "You're right. But I can't right now. Right now, I just want to relax."

"Okay, but promise me you'll do it."

"I promise." Then she hung up.

I stepped into the living room, where Ben had already changed it to the Discovery Channel, where Mike Rowe was standing beside what looked like a huge pile of cow manure.

"What was that all about?" Ben asked, patting the spot next to him. I heaved down on the couch, relieved to be sitting down. Carrying a baby was like carrying a heavy backpack on your stomach.

"Oh, Chastity's just going through some problems." I had decided to tell Ben about The Pregnancy Club, feeling he should have a right to know where I spend my Saturday mornings.

"Ah, I see. How's her baby?"

"She says Mira's fine. She'd stopped crying apparently, and now she's being quite an angel. Just like her mom." I chuckle.

"Speaking of moms, has anyone replied to you about giving the baby up for adoption?"

"No." I groaned, slapping my hand against my forehead. Only three weeks until I give birth, and still no sign of anyone wanting a baby. It was as if all woman with ovarian issues had dissapeared off the face of the Earth. I had even put in a second ad, but still nothing. 

"You know, Sadie, if it comes to it, I'm sure we'll be able to take care of the baby. I'm in it with you." Ben chewed his lip, which he only does when he's nervous.