The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 26

January

Chastity

New Year's had come and gone. Erik, Becky and I sat together and watched the ball drop in Times Square, and listen to the thunderous cheers of the citizens. The neighbours were having a party, I could hear the shouts and loud music. Becky's cheeks were rosy from the champagne, me and Erik were even able to have a small sip.

I tried to forget on New Years. Forget the fact that not one present was sent to me from my parents, not even something small. It was as if they had made their new family image without a daughter all, allowing her to drift into a far background where she was completely forgotten. I tried to not care. Becky was wonderful, more caring and accepting than my own mother. And Erik was a boyfriend and father wrapped up in one. What more could I ask for?

But I knew the answer to that. I wanted my real parents to take me back, tell me they love me, and they never wanted to give me up and they never will again. Sometimes at night I dreamt this fantasy, but just as they were about to take me inside for some hot chocolate, my father's eyes began to glow red and my mother's face went blank and hard as stone. Father would point to the door, shouting at me to leave.

I would wake up in tears, and Erik would come in and cuddle me until I fell back asleep. Even then he would stay, stroking my hair and murmuring sweet things into my ear.

                                                *                                 *                                   *

School was back on, and everyone was groaning and grumpy for having to be hauled back to school. I didn't have as many people taunting me as before, but Tori had gathered a hate crew containing all my old friends, who would shoot me mean looks in health class when the teacher started talking about abstinance and cough "slut" whenever someone said my name. 

Erik was the only one who got me through the day. At lunch I would run into his arms and tell him about another bad day. He would squeeze me tight and threaten to tell on them but I always told him not to. I didn't want to look like the baby who had her boyfriend fight her battles.

                                                  *                              *                                 *

First two weeks passed and people were getting used to the environment once more. Tori was away today and her hate crew wannabees stood around hopelessly, not knowing how to shoot me down without their heartless leader. One of them spoke to me today, and not to call me a name.

"Hi, Chastity." Whitney Jenson, and old friend of mine and Tori's and now part of the hate crew said after Algebra, hugging her books to her chest.

"Um, hi Whitney." I said, confused.

"Are you okay? Do you feel . . . alright?" She pressed, her eyebrows furrowing in concern. Out of a force of habit I put a hand to my stomach, making sure she was still there. I felt a little kick, and I sighed in relief. The kicks have been getting harder lately, so now everyone who puts a hand to my stomach can feel it.

"Yeah. I feel fine." I answered nochalantly.

"Oh, that's good." Whitney paused and scanned the room, making sure everyone had left for lunch already. "Why did you do it?"

I looked up, angry. Was this supposed to be another dig? But the look in her eyes didn't seem menacing, more curious.

"I didn't mean to get pregnant, if that's what your saying," I began. "This wasn't planned at all. However, I wouldn't take it back if I had the choice. Sure, my stomach is living proof that I apparently did something "sinful", but I think of it more as a miracle. I hope you do too." I gathered my books and marched out of the classroom, feeling sucessful on having the last word. Give her something to chew on.