Chapter 20

This was a dream. Except, it wasn't one of those kind of dreams. In this one, I wasn't even there, but I still had a conscious mind and sense of where I was. I sighed, annoyed that I was once again in a dream. I was seriously getting sick and tired of it.

The door opened and in came Julian. But he didn't look like Julian. For one, he had a bright smile on his face, and he was walking towards an elderly woman sitting on the round kitchen table. He kissed her cheek and she smiled up at him.

Julian still had that powerful aura around him, the one that told you instantly that he was an Alpha. But this time he wasn't radiating fear, and his eyes didn't have their feral gleam. And that's when I knew it.

I was staring at the Julian from before.

He went over to the counter and started pouring himself some fresh coffee. The woman was looking at him with a frown. "Julian, you got a letter in the mail today," she spoke. Her voice was raspy and deep, but kind.

"From who, mother?"

"Celia."

Julian turned around and stared at his mother with a scowl. "Did you open it?" he asked. I could tell he wasn't angry at his mother, but for the fact that he had received a letter from Celia.

"No," she replied, handing it to him. Julian ripped it open and rapidly read the letter.

His eyebrows furrowed and his jaw clenched as he scanned the letter once more. He folded it and put it in his pocket. He sighed, running a hand over his jaw. "She wants to meet me."

His mother frowned and started rubbing her hands together nervously. "Why?" she asked, concerned.

"She says she has a job for me, but she doesn't mention what it is." He comes over to the table and sits in front of her and takes the letter out. 

His mother reads it over once and then asks, "are you going to go?"

"Do I really have a choice?"

"Of course you do!"

"Not really. We all know she's going to take it out on the pack if I don't show up," he glances at the letter, "in two hours."

"I don't like this, Julian."

 "I know, mother," he takes her hands in his, "but I have to do this. For the pack's sake." And with that he gets up and starts heading upstairs. He passes a few doors and then makes his way to the end of the hallway. Immediately he starts to get ready. I see that he's taking precautions by putting a gun in his coat. Werewolves usually do not use them, but I think in this case he has to. If trouble came up, he couldn't come close and attack Celia with his bare hands because of all the guards around. 

As I stared at him, I could feel the mate pull, even though I wasn't physically there. It was so strong, and all I wanted to do was be there in person so I could put my arms around his waist and rest my head against his chest where I could feel his heartbeat.

The Julian from before was so admirable. He seemed much more lively, and I could tell he didn't have a drop of evil in his veins. I knew he was a damn good Alpha. 

Julian ran some errands around town, and I followed him as he did them. I saw the way he was with people. He treated them as equals, but at the same time they knew he was the Alpha and respected him.

An hour had passed, and Julian was getting ready to leave. Once he reached Celia's castle he showed the invitation to the guards and they let him inside, telling Julian that they expected him. 

I knew he was growing nervous. He kept rubbing his jaw and occasionally rolling his bottom lip into his mouth. But despite all that, he was composed. He was putting up a tough front.