Chapter 15

****** VERY IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END. MAKE SURE YOU READ IT ******

We found Griffin in a field where he helped young children shift for the very first time. Usually kids start shifting into their wolves at the age of 13. I still remember my first shift, even when though it was a long time ago. But most of all I remember the agonizing pain that comes with it.

Sure, I was excited to be in my wolf form again, but I was dreading the shift. I hadn't shifted in three years. It would be extra painful for me. I didn't even want to think about the pain.

The field was right beside the pack house, and behind it was a forest. It was a great place for the wolves to shift, so they could go for a run in the woods right after and exercise their new body. A large hill was shadowing the area where I was going to shift. It would hide us from any human eyes.

I wish my parents could be here with me, and that they weren't forced to leave me for a pack meeting. I tried to understand that they had important jobs, but the thought of them abandoning me on my second day back kept on crossing my thoughts.

I took slow steps in the greenery. The witches were around me, like a protective shield. I realized that this was the first time I was stepping out into fresh air ever since I escaped. Everybody was cautious, as if Julian could jump out from behind a tree and pulverise us all.

But Julian was probably sitting down thinking of a plan to kidnap me once more.

I was reluctant to shift outside at first. I knew Julian would be planning something. Could he be staking out in the town? It was unlikely... since my father had his wolfs patrolling the area. Still, I felt uncomfortable outside.

But I would be surrounded by people, and I doubted Julian would want to cause something when it would bring attention. And attention meant more people would come, and he'd be caught red-handed.

I was also surrounded be powerful witches, who would be able to protect me if something did happen. And then there were two powerful werewolves who were going to be there for the shift.

I had several questions on Ayrle Phoenix's. First of all, could you shift into one? It seemed likely that you could, since werewolves shift... but I wasn't absolutely sure. Or, if I shifted, would there be some sort of mutation on my wolf? A symbol on my fur? My mother mentioned the Ayrle Phoenix symbol...

"Linda," I called out.

She turned around and looked at me, giving a small smile. "Yes?"

"I have a question for you," I told her. She walked backwards and came to stand beside me.

I looked into her old wise eyes and spoke, "Can I ever shift into an Ayrle Phoenix?"

"I've been thinking of that myself. The last Ayrle Phoenix didn't shift into a phoenix, so I suspect that you won't either. Your both werewolf and phoenix, and so I believe that your wolf might have some extra body parts... we just don't know what they are,"

I nodded, feeling horrible. I didn't want any mutations on my wolf. I wanted her to be normal looking... most people wanted something unique, but I didn't. I wasn't vain or shallow, but I still didn't want my wolf to look unappealing. What if the fur was burned when I shifted. Phoenix's are associated with fire right? Who's to say I wouldn't show up with burnt fur? And Phoenix's were also birds, meaning... I could have a beak.

The very thought made me cringe.

Suddenly, I didn't want to do the shift anymore. But still, I walked all the way to where Griffin was waiting for us.

A hand touched my shoulder. I jumped, startled and frightened.

"Woah sorry there- I didn't mean to scare you. You were looking a little blue... are you alright?" Devlin asked. She looked genuinely worried for me.