Chapter Twenty-Seven

//Perrie//

It feels like dinnertime, judging by the loud growls coming from our stomachs. The hybrid kids don't seem to mind as they are happily dozing in their cages.  The oldest of them is in the cage closest to me, a collie pup with floppy light bronzy brown hair and warm brown eyes. His mess of hair looks like it can't decide between wavy  and straight, which is totally adorable. I wish my hair was like that naturally. But anyways, his name is George and he looks around sixteen, if even that. His body is curled up in a foetal position, head resting on his hands that are places as if they were paws. A long fluffy multi-coloured tail is poking out the hole in the back of his plain grey sweats, folded close to his derriere. 

"Hey, Perr," El whispers. I look up, seeing that Dani has dozed up as well right next to an actual husky pup with a tag reading 'Loki'. I've wondered if Loki is a half sibling to one of these hybrids (that's very possible!)

"Yeah?"

"How are we ever going to escape with these kids and the idiots we call our boyfriends and friends?"

"Brilliant question. Getting them to cooperate shouldn't be so difficult, if what the doctor says is true.  They behave more like pets so maybe they'll listen to direct orders. If not, we can always save part of our measly meals to bribe them with later.  Food bribes always work with kids, trust me."

"And animals too, I suppose," she comments.  She blows a stray strand out of her eyes in a bored manner. 

After a moment, she announces, "I'm so bored I wanna watch paint dry."

"Sign me up," I say with a giggle.

"D'you think the guards will bring in some sort of entertainment if we ask them super nicely?" she asks with a waggle of her perfectly arched brows.

"If by nicely you mean seductively, hell yeah.  They are men and we all know how male brain works.  Did you know that in male brain, the part that connects two hemispheres is significantly smaller than in a female brain? Literally one-track mind."

El is snorting with laughter when the steel doors unlock and the guards come in.  To our dismay, there are a couple gals too, thus blowing off our semi-formed plan to seduce them.

Without a word, they shove the feeding bowls and water bottles at us. I huff at them and gently shake Dani awake.  The cages open with an electronic beep. The kids sleep on peacefully, not bothered by the sound at all. 

One of the guars step forward menacingly, a metal prong in his hand.

I jump into action without thinking. Literally.

Before he can jab at George, I throw myself between the two of them so that the guard Tasers me instead. I scream as thousands of lightning bolts flash throughout my body.  I can feel my body convulsing as I fall onto the floor of the cage.  Most of the hybrids are awoken from my screaming.  George looks at me with wide fear-filled eyes, glancing up at the guard worriedly.  He comes forward to paw at my shoulder once the shudders subside. He whimpers pitifully, leaning down to nose at my cheek. Trying to assure him that I'm okay, I lift up a hand, just barely. The puppy boy nuzzles my hand, licking the palm. Smiling weakly, I drop my hand.  There's a wet pressure on my cheek and I realise that he is licking at my cheek. El and Dani look shocked, but that doesn't stop grins from growing on their faces.

"You alright?" Dani asks, putting a soothing hand on my shoulder. To our surprise, George growls, snapping his sharp-looking teeth at her.

Uh oh.

Looks like I got myself a cute little guard pup.

    ^-----^

=(  o , o  )=

//Niall//

"'M hungry," I announce. My stomach grumbles, loud enough to resonate in the room.

"Join the flippin' club," Louis says in a feigned peppy tone.

"Less talking, more energy saving," Liam instructs.

"But I'll go mad from not talking!" I huff, crossing my arms in front of my chest. (I wonder how girls do that, cross their arms. Isn't it weird, touching their own tits?)

"Better than starving, I reckon," Zayn comments, amused glint in his eyes.

"I'll go mad from starving if anything," I grouse. I mean , look at me! I eat all the freaking time.

"They feed us twice a day," Harry offers, clicking his nails at the metal bars of his cage. "So they should do the same for you lot."

"Us lot," Liam snorts. "Now you treat us differently."

"Well, the doctor and his team has been treating us hybrids like some scientific research so let's see how you like that." he nearly hisses.

"Whoa, claws in, everyone," Louis chuckles.

Oh, our Louis. Always the joker.

Harry glowers at the lad. "You see how nice and calm you feel after three or four days in a cage. Knowing you, you'll start clawing people's eyes out on day one, I wager."

"True," Louis acknowledges with a haughty nod.

Zayn rolls his eyes, going back to his silent sulking. I would have said something to him if it wasn't for a click outside the door.

"Food!" I say happily.

Thankfully, the guards do come bearing dinner for us. All of our food is in a doggy bowl, though, much to our disdain.

"Hey, we're all humans here!" Louis complains loudly.

"Not so much if you're mates with those things," a guard says with a jerk of his chin towards the hybrids.

I want to snap back at him but then I see the Taser guns in his holster. Cowardly bastards.

Dinner is simple, an ordered in Chinese medley of stir-fry and sweet and sour pork stuff. They haven't nearly enough to feed a growing teenager but I guess this'll have to do.

I sigh. Escape is going to be tough on an empty stomach.

    ^-----^

=(  o , o  )=

//Perrie//

"I'm alright, Georgie. Really! You should go back to your cage before your collar shocks you, sweetie," I coo.

He is so damn stubborn! He hasn't abandoned his protective crouch in front of me, growling and snapping at anyone who comes within five-foot radius of me. He must be feeling pretty dang protective of me.

He yips at me, licking at my face again. His nose is buried in my neck in a flash, his arms enclosing around me in an awkward embrace.  I hug him back.

“Will you let me go now, hun?” I croon.

Reluctantly, he licks my chin and then steps out of my way.  I kiss the top of his gorgeous hair and crawl out of the cage.

“Just think what an adorable guard dog he’ll make when we bust him out of here!” El smirks.

“Uh-huh.  He would more kill the intruder with his cuteness. Whatever.  Let’s give the kids their dinner and water and eat ours too.  Gotta eat to think.”