Chapter Twenty-Three

//Niall//

Fates must hate my guts because after dinner, the Derby game is on.  I curse at my blatant lack of luck; what the hell happened to the supposed luck of the Irish? So while Pa is nested on the sofa with a pack of beer and Pringles, I go back upstairs to prepare my plan.

Well, half of a plan. . . . . 
Okay, you got me, not much of a plan to call it an actual plan.

I have the address of the Jose de Silva so all I need to do is walk a few dozen miles in the cold darkness of February in my brand-new Supras. No, maybe I should hunt down my running shoes, I think I have those shucked somewhere in my room along with the rest of the gym strip.

Calling for backup also sounds swell.

So I whip out my mobile and call all of the lads.

"'Lo?" Liam is the first to answer.  And, scary thing is, there is a rustle of sheets and a faint girly giggle in the background. God, I hope he wasn't doing what I suspect he was doing before my call interrupted him.
"Hey, Li. Got a couple hours to spare?"  I ask cheerily.
"The hell you at, Nialler?" Louis groans over the line.  I hear a gentle chastise, so I can only assume that El is there with him.  Is everyone getting laid tonight except me? Is that what's going on?
Zayn's answer confirms my suspicions. There is a cut-off moan at his end of the line before Zayn and Perrie giggle and Zayn growls, "Please tell me you have a murder on your hands and need help disposing the body. No, if it was that, you coulda used the fucking Siri app."

"I think a scientist has kidnapped Harry," I drop the bomb.

There is a collective gasp followed by silence. Liam must have put his mobile on speaker because Dani asks, "How do you know?"
"Do you want the legal version of the story or the unlawful version."

I can hear Liam scowling all the way from here.

Futilely, I clear my throat before I continue on, "I was worried that Haz didn't show up to school so I ringed his mum. She sounded shocked that he hadn't crashed at any of our places so she signed off saying something about how she hadn't expected 'this' to actually happen.  She hung up on me, which got me a wee pissed off.  After school, I might have snuck into his house by the kitchen window and overheard her conversation with Mr Styles.  Said something about how she had been in love with this bloke named Jose and created Harry together. Then I phoned up the police station and worked me Irish charms to death until I got his address out of that stone-hearted bitch of a receptionist—no offence to our lovely ladies listening in." I quickly add.

 Zayn is one protective and possessive badass when it comes down to it, let me tell ya.  Once, some new dude didn't know that Perrie was Zayn's, so he started to flirt with her. She shot him down ruthlessly but that hadn't been quick enough because Zayn had already spotted them.  He marched over, shoved the new guy onto the cold, very wet and hard ground, and punched his jaw pretty hard. I think he might have blacked out but I didn't stick around to find out.

Anyways, time is ticking while they process the shit-tonne of information I have just spouted out. Liam, ever the smart one, speaks first. "So we know the prime suspect and his motive, possibly. Did Anne run away with Harry or something? Or had he allowed her to live with Harry normally before in clocked in to, dunno, verify his existence."
"Wish I knew the answer," I grumble. "But the important thing is, this bastard has our innocent little"--he is honestly neither on both accounts but cut me some slack! Trying to sentimentalize them into helping me, here--"Harry and possibly more hybrids. From what I gathered, it didn't sound like Harry was the only one the doc helped 'create.'

"One," Louis sasses, "Harry is at least three inches taller than you and the school's flirt. Two, if you're trying to work sentimental shit in your favour, be less obvious about it, why don't you?"
"Have we an English teacher in the working here?" Zayn mocks, who we all know dreams of becoming an English professor.
"No, that'd be you," Louis mocks back.

They bicker on for maybe a minute before Liam intervenes, "Okay, you dramatic nerds, cool your heads. I think Niall has valid points here—"
"—Ha!—“
"—But whatever he's got barely planned sounds dangerous.  If he is, in fact, the scientific genius mind behind hybrids and whatnot, we can't expect to barge in, rescue Harry, and come back out unscathed. Bet you my next paycheque that he has guards patrolling his lab and his hybrids locked up in a room or two."

Damn.  Don't hate hate it when you have that one friend who is always right?

"Either we leave him to be experimented upon or we risk our necks to save him," I grit out.
"I think he's had his time experimenting," El snickers. The girls giggle at that I'll bet my breakfast tomorrow that the other chaps are rolling their eyes as well.