Chapter 43

AN: I think the GIF is enough to explain what's about to come next ;)

(o)

Selena awoke to a dull and faint throbbing on the base of her skull, the silky feel of the sheets against the skin of her arms informing her of her whereabouts. She did not have a single idea how she got in bed or when and where she fell asleep exactly. Glancing at the clock beside her, she could vaguely make out the time '3:32' blinking a slight green glow in the dark room. She made a move to get up, becoming aware of an arm loosely draped on her waist, causing her to shift her gaze to the man sleeping beside her.

Her breath instantaneously hitched the moment her eyes landed on him. He was still donned in the suit that he wore to the awards, except for his blazer that he might have discarded a while ago. His eyes were closed and deep in slumber, but from the expression on his face it was clear that it was no peaceful one. Opposite the serene aura that seemed to engulf him whenever at rest, it was exhaustion that was clouding his features, appearing troubled even in his unconscious state. The sight of him extremely distressed sent a wave of remorse through her. A few strands of hair were obscuring his face causing her to act on impulse and draw a hand out to tuck it behind his ear. But even before the tips of her fingers touched the tendrils, the image of Kendall and him in a lip lock immediately flashed before her eyes violently, her hand retracting straightaway, as if flames had licked her skin.

A silent whimper escaped her.

Would it be always like this from now on? Would the image continue to haunt me every single time I so much as look at him? If so, then what's the point in staying in a relationship?

A single tear once again escaped her eyes. Just when she thought she couldn't cry any longer, she was once again proven wrong. Taking a nervous breath, Selena cautiously stood up, careful not to wake him up. He deserved to rest and frankly she did not know if there was still any strength left in her to face him right now. The brunette padded with light feet towards the bathroom, silently clicking the lock. She immediately cringed at her appearance on the mirror. Her face that felt heavy and sticky from her dried tears and make-up looked blotchy. Her eyes were puffed and bloodshot, containing dark bags underneath. Her disheveled hair knotted in tangles.

With a withdrawn sigh, Selena took the toothbrush and started cleaning herself, much more thorough and slow than necessary. After finishing with brushing her teeth and washing her face, she began to rid herself of her clothes and went inside the shower, letting the warm water soothe her nerves, even if only temporary. Her torturous mind brought her back to her last question, pondering how she could have ever thought of such a thing.

Is this what they've come down to?

Selena shuddered with repulse at her poignant thoughts. No matter how much it broke her heart to see Kendall's sneer reflecting back at her through his emerald pools, the female found herself stubbornly refusing to let him go. Much like the last words she remembered him whispering to her, she couldn't bring herself to leave him because of his firm hold on her heart, the thought of losing him a thousand times more painful than just what she went through.

But could they ever go back to being normal?

Selena took a shaky breath, her unanswered questions coming back to haunt her with a vengeance. Perhaps spending time apart even for just a little while was indeed necessary. Closing the shower, the lass got out and dried herself then wrapped the towel securely around her. Just as her hand went to the knob, she bit her lip in contemplation, praying that Harry was still asleep. She did admittedly feel quite a little bit better than before, but she still did not possess the courage to discuss their current predicament with him. She also knew that if she should leave, this was probably the best time to do so. But after opening the door, it was the second time that night that she found her prayers unanswered as Harry was now very much awake and sitting on the bed.