Chapter 40 --- Scared

Bacon... Was that what I could smell? And coffee?

Curious--and suddenly ravenous--I opened my eyes to find myself flat on my back in bed looking straight up at the ceiling, puzzled to see the unfamiliar lampshade hanging there.

And with a gasp, I sat bolt upright, staring wildly around me, taking in the taupe and cream décor, the huge antique pine chest of drawers in front of me, the built-in wardrobes.

Alex. This was his bedroom. I was in his bed.  I turned quickly even though I already knew he couldn't be there, the sheets beside me cool to the touch. He'd obviously been up for a while.

It was perfectly color-coordinated bedroom—with one immediately obvious difference to the room I have in the apartment.  And there was a sofa, a wardrobe and another wall-mounted flat-screen television

I know it wasn’t my first time here but I never would’ve noticed how glamorous and grandeur this flat could be

 "Wow," I murmured under my breath as I collapsed weakly back on the pillows, my heart rate slowly returning to normal. "Oh, wow." And closing my eyes, I stretched out my limbs, reveling in the softness of the mattress beneath me.

With me still testing the springiness of the mattress, it was quite a struggle to sit up, but I'd never seen anything like this room in real life, only in glossy magazines and on television shows about the lives of the rich and famous

 Pushing back the duvet, I slid out of bed and raced to the bathroom, my head spinning as I frantically began counting days. It was okay, I realized with a rush of relief, I ought to be safe.

Then I thought of taking a shower,I decided against using it without permission. Quite apart from the fact I really wasn't sure how to switch it on, it looked spotlessly clean.

There didn't appear to be a single watermark on the shower screen, the fitments gleaming as though they'd never been used. But surely they had? How could anyone have a shower like that and not use it?

Stripping off the bloody clothes in the bathroom, I dumped them in a corner. I'd put them in the washer to soak.

 Suddenly, I was a jumble of nerves and emotions. Even though I had seen my share of death and dying, I had never really had my own mortality shoved so clearly into my face like this, and it frightened me deeply.

But I shrugged the thought off and opened the shower. The room quickly filled with steam as I let the hot water run all over my tired body. I was very glad Alex's shower had a built-in seat or I would've ended up on the floor. While I did, memories came rushing to my head

Drunk.  Pool.  Engagement

I found myself shaking and my knees buckle as the weight of the whole ordeal began to overtake me. I coughed continuously slowly pulling myself into a sitting position.

His arm came around my back, gently resting against my shoulder blades, helping me up. His touch was warm and disconcertingly familiar.