Chapter 39 --- Drown

I was adamant about Patrick leaving. But now that he left, I badly wanted to feel him in my arms. Is that what happens when you love someone? Is that how my mom felt? Is that why my mom chose...but I knew she was stronger than that.

I had gone through so much; I knew I could deal with this and move on. I had so much to live for.

"Meg?"

I looked up in surprise as Alex, despite having beaten to pulp by Patrick, took a seat next to me on the stairs. There had always been something about Alex that struck me as serene, ever since I'd first met him..

 "Sana sinabe niya na lang, Alex. I wished he just spit the word at me" I said quietly. "Slut. Whore. Skank. Bitch I mean, usually I don’t let those words dig on to my skin” I let out a bitter laugh as my smile turned into a lopsided bitter grin. “Pero iba pala—” I looked up tears sting my eyes despite myself. “Iba pala pag galing sa mismong taong mahalaga sayo. It’s ten times worst”

 "Do you want to talk about it?" Alex asked.

 "It" was really a loosely defined word. I found myself explaining everything—absolutely everything—to Alex. I couldn't bring myself to look at him, when I explained about everything—The engagement, my sister, Patrick. I couldn't bear it if he thought less of me, I thought, swallowing hard.

To my surprise, when I was finished talking, Alex put an arm around my shoulders. I looked up at him and found myself looking into dark eyes full of warmth and concern.

"You know, you've always reminded me a lot of myself," Alex went on. When I looked up at him, wide-eyed, he chuckled softly. "Always quiet and secretive, keeping my past from others because I was so afraid that they'd disapprove.”

 "You don't seem...surprised..." I said, my voice hesitant.

Alex nodded. "I've always suspected that sort of thing about you, Meg" he admitted. "Your situation was always...suspicious."

 "Oh," I said quietly. I stared down at my hands. “Why didn’t you punch him as hard as you could?”

I shivered as his hand cupped my cheek, turning my gaze up to meet his. No wonder most women around metro fell in love with him, I thought, My heart pounding and my eyes wide.

"Don’t let those words bring you down, Meg. It wan't directed at you—that was supposed to be me. It was me” He told me. He reached up and tugged playfully at a strand of hair that strayed across my cheek. "You know when I heard he said those accusations; I wished I did punch him hard enough"

“Why didn’t you?”