Chapter 31 --- Fiancé

Life is strange. Just when you've got a handle on things, when you can finally see the path ahead - everything you've taken for granted seems to vanish in the pure light of day. Paradigms shift, leaving you breathless and unsure of yourself.

Then one night you run in a man so completely different your whole world comes unglued. Paradigm shifts don't mean a thing because nothing matters anymore; nothing's important except the man beside me

Patrick took my hand and wandered through the memorial garden, breathing in the beauty surrounding us. How I loved to come here, be engulfed by nature’s canvas and filled by the sound of its music. The scent filled my senses and my mind. Such a flower caught my eyes, as I settled onto the soft grass beneath the shade of a large magnolia tree in full bloom. Sunlight filtered down through the leaves and I have squinted my eyes against the pale-green sparkle.

And just beside it engraved a tomb

In Loving Memory of

Kier Jeffrey P. Santillano

“What are we doing here, Pat?” I said dragging my eyes from the grave and gazing at Patrick who was still staring down at the tomb

He held out his hand. I hesitantly took it, and then looked at our hands a moment. His long tapered fingers glowed bronze against my smooth skin as our fingers entwined. I shivered, the image was almost prophetic

“It’s his death anniversary”

 I glanced up, staring into his brilliant dark pools that almost made me lost for a moment and felt something stir deep in me. It moved like a tidal wave, setting fire to my heart and soul.

 Pat grinned and led me down to the stretch of grass below.

“I always knew you even before I met you, Meg” He began and I was stunned not knowing what to say next after he said that. Gazillions of question crawled up at the back of my head.

How come?! Why?

As if hearing my question he said “We were close cousin. In fact it was like he was the brother I never had and Kier always talked about you in every chance he could get” A smile crept up on his face as he said

You should’ve seen how he had that goofy smile whenever he talks about you” He shook his head but the smile was still there on his lips. “He would always mention how headstrong and stubborn you were who spoke her mind, and always knew she said nothing she didn't mean. And that you have a certain sweetness about you that draws him closer.”

He gaze up finally meeting my eyes and reached out for my hand for him to hold “When he told me he had fallen in love, I knew it was real. I respected his relationship with you, so never allowed myself to think of you as anything less even tho I haven’t met you back then”

The revelation of his feelings made my eyes widen and turn suspiciously wet around the edges, but Patrick merely radiate satisfaction and wore a content smile.

“And you know what, Meg? Now that I finally met you, I could honestly say Kier was right about you all along. You are as charismatic to a fault, with a skewering wit, and could be counted on for a seemingly endless mix of alternating hilarious and touching stories”