Epilogue

I could feel her warm breath on my face. Even with my eyes closed and just coming out of a dead sleep, I could tell we were almost nose-to-nose. I slowly opened one eye and confirmed what I already knew. Silky dark hair, almond dark pools, and a small nose, is what I saw before immediately closing my eye hoping against hope she hadn't seen it—no such luck, I'd been caught.

"Mommy, Ich weiß,dass du wach bist. Ich bin hungrig," my daughter, Cielo, said, lying on my pillow next to me. She had the strangest habit of coming into my bed in the morning, lying down on my pillow and watching me until I would wake up. She has scared the hell out of me on more than one occasion.

Do you know what it is like to open your eyes and see someone staring back at you? The first time she did it, I almost had a heart attack. Now it was just something I kind of grew to expect. I'm not saying I liked it, but what was I going to say to her, "Don't do that anymore?" Like that would have worked?

"I'm still asleep besides what did I tell you about speaking german?" I said in a soft raspy voice, which was about all I could muster. "Wake me in an hour, then we'll have breakfast."

"Mommy, you've got to get up," she said, now kneeling on the bed pushing at my still sleepy body. "You promised to take me shopping today, remember?" Stressing the word remember.

"I thought your grandmother did that?"

"She only bought me underwear and stuff like that. Please, get up Mommy. I promise I wont speak german anymore" she demanded.

"Ugh. Thanks Mother who spoils her granddaughter so much," I said quietly under my breath, while Cielo kept trying to rock me awake. On the next push I slipped my arm under her stomach and rolled her over onto her back.

"It looks like someone needs a Power tickle," I said, tickling her stomach and sides. "Oh no, not the Mega tickling tish death tickle!" I shouted, grabbing both her sides. Laughing joyfully, Cielo tried to get away from my craziness.

Things had settled down since those many months ago.

I picked out the newest photo of Cielo. Her face always brought back the memory of Patrick. She was so much like him and I always have to chase her around the house while she yells, "I want something sweet to eat. Where are those caramel candies?" She’d squeal and run, until I grabbed her and carry her like a sack

This is my little Cielo. My Cielo Marié C. Llanza

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The happiest people do not live with a certain set of circumstances, but rather with a certain set of attitudes. Choosing to be positive and grateful for what I have now is going to determine how I'm going to live the rest of my life. So I alwasy try to look for something positive about today. Even if I have to look a little harder than usual, it still exists.

Despite the pain and heartbreak I’ve endured, I would say that I am lucky and grateful for have meeting someone like Patrick. I have had so many wonderful experiences with him. Without him, I wouldn’t know true love does exist.

Without him, I wouldn’t be the person I am today; he’s helped me evolve in so many ways. With him, I know that I have a friend for life. He will always be there for me, always have my back, and that’s wonderful, isn’t it? I am truly grateful for that.