Matthew Quick

A letter to the person who changed your life

Dear Q,
Is it okay if I call you Q? I mean writing Matthew Quick sounds awfully boring for a cool person like yourself.

When I was 13 and a half, I had this notion in my head that I don't deserve to live. It would be better for me and for everyone around me if I just died.

The new school year had just started and it was a weekend just like any other.

I had gone with my father to our favourite bookstore and I was browsing the new releases section when this book with a wacky cover caught my eye.

The title seemed a little weird, 'The Good Luck Of Right Now' but I picked it up nonetheless because it was in the form of letters and I love books written in the form of letters.

As soon as I went home, I snuggled up in my bed and opened the book.

Now this is where it gets a little weird.

I opened the book and smelt the pages because that's my favourite thing in the world.

As I started to smell the book, I noticed something different about it.

Usually most books smell of the bookstore they were bought from but that book had a weirdly comforting smell.

Anyways, as I slowly began to read it, I began feeling a plethora of emotions.

Happiness at Bartholomew's awkwardness, sadness at his grief and relief over him finally finding his way.

I clutched on to that book that night and repeated the phrase,
' The Good Luck Of Right Now'
over and over again in my head.

Since then whenever I feel like I don't have it good and that life just keeps on getting worse and worse, I repeat the phrase, I remind myself to believe in the Good Luck Of Right Now.

It's not just that book you know?

All your books have had this profound effect on my life that it's a little inexplainable.

But more than the others, Love May Fail and Good Luck Of Right Now have changed my life.

So thank you for that.

This isn't going to be as long a letter as the others have been because I feel kinda scared and nervous writing a letter to my favourite writer.

People say I have a way with words but I seem to lose it in front of you.

The way you use simple words and twist them in to the most meaningful things in the world is something I will never be able to do.

But I do hope that even I get to make a difference in someone else's life just like you've made in mine.

And to tell you the truth, that's what gets me through the day.

Love
Navi