The good, the Bad, the Ugly

Grace's POV

The stranger that had stopped by to make a phone call wasn't seen in town again. That didn't bother me. What did bother me, however, was the long wait on knowing what happened to Ken. That waited ended three months after the day he disappeared with a simple knock on the door. When I saw that it was the police, my hopes nearly exploded out of my head. I could help but think, "They found him." My hopes quickly fell when the officer asked me to come in and then asked me to sit down. He then proceeded to tell me that they found Ken's mangled body at the same playground that he disappeared at. I was then asked to come and identify the body. I went with the officer in a numb cloud and the sight that I was shown upon arrival will forever haunt my nightmares. I couldn't hardly identify him. The only thing that gave proof that it was him was the wedding band on his finger. It still had the inscription engraved on. I went back home and cried into my children's arms as I carefully told them that their daddy was dead. I then phoned everyone else to inform them on what had happened and when the closed casket funeral would be.

Candice's POV

I was sitting in the living room watching a movie with DO and the kids. I was unnerved about the discovery of Ken's body but DO seemed very calm about it and his sense of chill helped me relax enough to not panic about a killer being in town. It had been three months since Leo left and I still hadn't heard a single word. I was hurt by this but over those three long months, I had fallen for DO. I hadn't voiced or acted upon this, although there were definitely times I really wanted to.

I had fallen asleep on the couch thanks to DO playing with my hair only to be woken up with the sound of a key in the door. I stood up and walked slowly to the door unable to believe what I thought what happening. I was afraid of who might come through the door but I secretly hoped that it was going to be Leo. If anything he owed me an explanation as to why he never made contact with me. I felt DO grab my shoulder in a protective manner right as the door slowly swung open, revealing Leo's pale face looking in at us both.

In a fit of joy, I ran into his arms and cried with joy explaining, "I can't believe it's you. It's really you! Why didn't you ever call me like you said you were??? I was so afraid that some nut case had gotten a hold of you!!!!" I failed to notice the coldness in the arms that held me. All I cared about was that he was here in my arms and that he was okay. He picks me in one arm and his bag in the other and walks in. He carefully put me down and kissed my softly on the lips before calling out to Maleena Marie. Naturally, at his soft call she came running and firing questions at an unbelievable rate.

After answering her many questions, he hugged her and sent her on her way before turning to DO. It was then that I noticed that DO was quiet and looking fairly angry. I didn't understand that but then I got a good look at Leo and noticed the same look of anger was mirrored in his face. I thought that maybe Leo thought that things had been going on between me and DO, so I quickly opened my mouth and said, "DO has been so kind as to keep me and the kids company while you were away. With that killer being on the loose, I didn't feel safe being completely by myself. He has been a great protective character." Leo only nodded before saying, "I thought I made it clear that I didn't want you anywhere near my family... I appreciate you making her feel better but now that I am back, your assistance is no longer needed. Get out." The words came out dripping with ice and I saw DO grit his teeth before walking past me and slamming the door shut behind him.

I looked at Leo in disbelief and was getting ready to yell at him when he slumped to the floor and started to cry. That shocked the angry words from my mind and I rushed to his side, asking, "What's wrong?" Leo pulled me into the tightest hug I had ever experienced and whispered into my ear, "I made a promise to you in a quiet coffee shop to never hurt you. I hurt you so bad when I left in the middle of the night with only a letter to explain. I hurt you even more by not holding my promise to contact you. I'm so sorry, Candice. Will you find the heart and time to forgive me?" The words were so sad and broken that I started to cry myself as I quickly answered, "It's okay, Leo. I'm just glad you are okay and I do forgive you." We sat like that in the floor for the rest of the night, holding each other and our daughter when she joined us.