Chapter 37

A week later I was able to go back to school. Things were still weird now that everyone knew that my father was a famous actor. People were coming up to me a lot more now trying to get me to talk to them for various reasons, but I was glad to be back at school with all my friends and the bodyguard James had insisted upon to follow me around whenever I went somewhere the day after it had leaked that I was his daughter. I don't know if I was going to get used to having someone follow me around at school and any place else I wanted to go to, but my grandparents had really liked the idea so I had been outnumbered.

They were worried about my safety and wanted to have someone there to protect me just in case one of my classmates got out of hand. Or some random person on the street who recognized me and got too excited. Hopefully I wouldn't have to be in that situation, but I guess that I could see it happening with the way that people were trying to get my attention.

It seemed like everyone wanted to be my friend, but I knew that they only wanted to be my friend because of who my father was. I was a little worried about Jordan and Nathan's friends being different around me now, but so far they weren't treating me differently and I felt like I had picked the right people to be friends with. The group that I had been hanging out with before Nathan had started dating Alexis again had warmed up to Jordan and her friends. And they had warmed up to Nathan and his friends as well.

I was glad because I didn't really want to have to choose between either group. Plus, it was nice to be hanging out with Jennifer, Kelly, and Cameron again. I had missed them even if I had only hung out with them for a couple months before I decided that I couldn't be around Nathan while he was dating Alexis.

Now that he was no longer dating her, I could hang out with Nathan again as well as his friends, who had been the first ones to take me in when I had been new to this school, since Alexis had gone back to hang out at her regular table with the rest of the popular kids. The ones who were just like her and not as nice as Nathan and his friends were, who were popular among the students, but were also more approachable than Alexis and any of her friends.

If Alexis and none of the other students that were sitting with her went to this school, then I was pretty sure that Nathan and his friends would be the most popular group at school. It would probably make everyone in this school happy if Alexis and her group didn't go to this school.

"I don't think Alexis is thrilled with all of the attention you're getting. And she's even less thrilled that you and Nathan are hanging out again," Cameron said glancing over to the other side of the cafeteria where Alexis and her friends were sitting. Everyone at our table looked in that direction as well to see if Alexis was paying attention to our table at all.

"That's because she's not getting her way," I responded as I watched Alexis.

She was busy laughing with the boy sitting next to her. It wasn't clear as to why they were laughing or who had made the other laugh first, but they looked like they were flirting with each other. Or at least they had been flirting with each other. Alexis had her hand on the boy's arm and was leaning pretty close to him. They both looked comfortable with the how close they were sitting next to each other. So much for being devastated that her boyfriend, now ex-boyfriend, had broken up with her.

It only confirmed how much she didn't care about Nathan, but it also looked liked Nathan didn't care either. He didn't seem to mind that Alexis was flirting with someone else. I watched him for a bit after looking away from Alexis and at him. Nathan didn't look upset as he watched her or heartbroken, just maybe disgusted. I glanced back at Alexis for a few minutes before looking at the other people at her table.

"Well just be careful. She might not seem like she's going to do anything to you right now, but I think she's just waiting until your guard is down," Nathan said looking over at me. I nodded my head once we looked at each other.