Chapter 13

Before sixth period had ended, Nathan managed to get my number out of me and I got his in return so now I had three numbers in my phone. I know it wasn't much, but it was more than I had ever had since this was my first phone ever. Then I went off to my seventh period and listened to my teacher, Madame Garner, talk about our class, in French of course. It was the only class that I actually got a lesson in since that was probably because it wasn't the first year of French so it was natural to just dive straight into a lesson, which I didn't mind.

I didn't want to forget anything I had learned the last three years I had taken French by wasting any more time not learning and speaking French. French was one of the things I had made sure that Charlotte knew I wanted to take no matter how many times we moved.

So, I had told her to always make sure to check if a high school she was thinking about enrolling me in had French, if it didn't then she had to choose another one. She seemed to at least let me have that, which I was happy about. I really liked taking French. It was different from all of my other classes.

And that was probably because it was more of a challenge than any of my other classes. I had been looking for to French all day long and also to having a class with just Kimberly. I had made sure to get Kimberly's number before French had ended.

Kimberly had started to warm up to me a little more as we worked on a worksheet together that our teacher had passed out to everyone during French class. Madame Garner had told us to work with a partner on it. I wasn't sure what the point of the worksheet was, but maybe it was just to get everyone back into the habit of speaking and writing French again after not speaking it for three whole months. But I didn't mind. Being in my fourth year of French was easier than being in my first.

I knew a lot more and I could speak as well as write the French language pretty well even if sometimes it did still provide a challenge. It just made me want to learn the language more. So the worksheet didn't take Kimberly and I very long after we had gotten it. I got the impression that she was smart and did well in school by how well she knew the language and how hard she worked.

When my first day at my new school was over, I headed to the parking lot and walked to my car. I unlocked it after reaching my car and then got inside. After shutting the door and locking up the car, I set my bag into the seat next to me and then start up the engine. I looked around before backing up out of the parking spot before I drove my car over to the exit.

Then I drove to my grandparents' house and when I got there I saw a beat-up old car sitting in driveway. And that could only mean one thing, Charlotte was here. That didn't take long. She apparently couldn't stay away from me that long.

I sighed and pulled my car into the driveway next to the faded blue car that Charlotte must have gotten as soon as she landed in California. If she had gotten a car, then it meant she was planning on living here as well unless it was a rental. If it was a rental, then maybe she wasn't planning on living here. But shecould have also just gotten a rental because she hadn't had the time to buy acar that she would keep. Charlotte had always told me that she would never moveback home, but maybe after what happened things had changed.

But for now, shewas here to see someone. And that could either be me or her parents. Or maybe all of us, which made more sense as to why she was still over here. My grandparents had promised me that Charlotte wouldn't be staying over here so she must have wanted to talk to me too since her car was still at her parents' house. It just all depended on how long Charlotte has been here.

She could have come over in the morning, thinking that I would be there, but then found out that I was at school so she left and then came back around the time I was supposed to come home from school. Charlotte probably would have preferred to spend as less time as she could with her parents if she didn't plan on talking to them at all. She would prefer to avoid all of their questions, knowing that they had quite a few. Probably a lot more than I did. I knew what she had been up to since the day she had left even though I didn't remember all of it.