Chapter 20

Our waitress came back over about five minutes later and served us our food. After making sure we had everything we needed, she left us alone and Nathan and I focused on eating our food. We were both quiet as we worked on cleaning off our plates, both obviously hungry after not eating since earlier in the morning. Nathan seemed hungrier than I was since he was practically shoving food down his mouth, but he was still taking the time to chew everything before stuffing his mouth with food again.

It wasn't long before both Nathan and I's plates were empty even though we had received them a very short time ago. We both took a breather before anyone said something. And just as Nathan was about to say something to start up another conversation, someone interrupted him.

"Charlotte! Is that really you?" some very mistaken blonde woman exclaimed. I knew I looked similar to Charlotte when she was my age, but I never thought I'd be mistaken for her. I didn't want to be mistaken for her, but this woman seemed to think I was Charlotte.

She walked over to our table smiling at me, waiting for me to answer her. I noticed that she appeared to be the same age as Charlotte, but she was much better dressed than Charlotte probably ever would be. She had on a hot pink dress that stopped just above her knees and black pumps on. The woman looked like she was dressed to go to a wedding and not a diner.

"No, I'm not Charlotte," I replied. I wasn't going to actually admit that I was Charlotte's daughter until I knew what this woman wanted and if she was willing to spill some information about Charlotte. I could have just pretended to be Charlotte, but I'm pretty sure it would look weird if a thirty-six year old woman was hanging out with a boy in high school. Plus, I'm sure that this woman would realize that I'm not Charlotte very quickly.

"Oh my god, are you her daughter? It has been a while so I imagine that her daughter is quite a bit older than the last time I saw her. You look exactly like your mother," she said smiling at me. So much for keeping that under the radar.

"Yeah, I am her daughter," I answered giving her a tight smile. I didn't want to hear that I looked exactly like Charlotte. It made me want to throw up because I was nothing like Charlotte. And looking a little like the teenage version of Charlotte didn't mean I looked like her either. I'm sure there was some similarities, but I don't think I could be mistaken for her.

I made a mental note to find a picture of Charlotte when she was my age to see if this woman was right in mistaking me for Charlotte or if she needed some glasses to see that I couldn't be mistaken for Charlotte when I got back to my grandparents' house. She probably needed some glasses because there was no way I was an exact copy of what Charlotte looked like when she was my age anyways, but it didn't hurt to find a picture of Charlotte and find out the truth. I had to look a little like my father though, right?

There had to be something on my face that didn't come from Charlotte. At least I really hoped that there was something on my face that didn't come from Charlotte. I would like to have inherited something from my father.

"How old are you now?" the blonde woman asked me.

"I'm 17," I replied. She seemed to be under impression that we knew each other since she was talking to me like I was an old friend, but I had absolutely no recollection of this woman.

"I can't believe that you're seventeen years old now. I got to meet you in the hospital after you were born. Your mom was my best friend at the time. And then she just up and left. I haven't heard from her since then, but I take it she's back in town if you're here too?" she asked.

Well, I think I just hit the jackpot, but I wish she would tell me her name to so I could ask my grandparents about her.

"Yeah she is. I'm not quite sure where she's staying though. She's not exactly welcome at my grandparents' house at the moment," I replied.