Chapter 22

I needed to get out of here before I started crying, but I could hear someone calling after me and I knew it was Nathan. It would be nice to just run away from him, but I didn't want anyone thinking that it was because I had feelings for Nathan. I wanted everyone to know that I didn't want to hang out with them anymore because I wouldn't be able to stomach hanging out Alexis. Even if I didn't have feelings for Nathan, I wouldn't want to be around him when he was dating Alexis.

I couldn't be friends with someone who was dating someone who liked to ruin people's lives. Someone who was cruel at heart. It was hard enough when I had to deal with Charlotte because she was my mother so she was always going to show up randomly during the course of my life. I couldn't exactly avoid Charlotte because I happened to be related to her, but I could avoid Alexis and that's what I was doing.

"Rhiannon, wait!" Nathan said as I turned around and stopped. He reached me and stopped before me, trying to catch his breath as I waited for him to say something. I watched him as he bent over and put his hands on his knees as he waited for his breathing to slow down. A few minutes later, he looked back at up at me and said, "We can still be friends. Just because I'm with Alexis, doesn't mean we have to stop being friends. She's okay with us being friends."

"I'm sorry Nathan, but I can't be friends with someone who is dating someone like her. She's an awful person and she's controlling. I can't be around someone like her. I've lived with someone like her all my life and I'm putting that person behind me. I'm not going to go through it again," I replied as I could see the hurt on his face.

"I still want to be friends though," Nathan said sounding upset that I didn't want to be friends with him anymore. I still did want to be friends with him, but I couldn't be around someone like Alexis all the time. I wasn't going to put myself into the position again.

"It's not going to happen. Not while you're dating her. Good luck Nathan and be careful," I replied as I turned to leave again, but Nathan stopped me by grabbing onto my wrist.

I tried to ignore how it made me feel. There was no way I was going to cave into another boy again. And Nathan was no different. He may be sweeter and nicer than the boyfriends I've had, but he was just like every guy out there. He lied. And that didn't sit well with me. Nathan didn't let go of my wrist so I turned around to face him once more, waiting to see what else he was going to say. He looked so sad, but there was no way I was hanging around him when Alexis was going to be around him twenty-four/seven.

Especially now that I realized that I had feelings for Nathan. I wasn't dumb enough to hang around a guy I liked and watch him be with someone. Someone who would probably rub it in my face that she was with Nathan.

"Dude, are you seriously back with the girl you said that you'd never ever date again?" I heard Cameron say angrily as he came up behind Nathan. He looked just as angry and he sounded.

"Yes, I am. Like I said, I have my reasons and right now I'd rather not share them," Nathan said turning around fast to face his best friend after he had let go of my wrist. His voice matched Cameron's now. I'm guessing that Nathan didn't really want to hear about how big of mistake he was making right now. Whatever reason he had for getting back together with Alexis better be a damn good one.

"So, then you lied when you said you never wanted to get back together with her? Didn't you learn from the first time that she burned you?" Cameron said not backing down even though Nathan looked pretty angry that Cameron wasn't letting this go.

"I don't want to talk about it," Nathan said. He turned back to me and his face softened. But before Nathan could say anything to me, Cameron spoke up once again.

"I don't know if I can be friends with you while you're dating her," Cameron said. That made Nathan turn right back around to face Cameron again.

"You're supposed to be my best friend," Nathan said.