Chapter 8

It didn't take long for the first day of school to come around. And to say I was a nervous wreck was definitely on point. Instead of worrying about just getting through the day and finding where my classes were without any trouble because I had to deal with that, I was now worrying about if I was going to make any friends since I had no idea if I was going to be able to do that. I didn't want to be alone for the rest of the school year since I would be attending this school for the rest of my high school career.

I wasn't worried about moving and having to start all over again since I knew Charlotte had no case whatsoever in trying to regain custody of me. There was too much against her for Charlotte to ever regain custody of me again.

I hadn't once heard from her since I had left, which wasn't a surprise because our relationship was never the greatest and she never made an effort with me, but I knew my grandparents had talked to her a couple of times. They had told me that she wasn't thrilled about the car or all the other things that they had gotten me. She seemed to dislike the fact that her parents were buying me all these things.

And I don't know if she was just jealous or she just didn't want me to have nice things, but she made it known that she didn't agree with her parents buying me all these things. Charlotte's disapproval didn't stop her parents from buying their granddaughter things they thought she deserved though.

They weren't just making sure I had everything I needed, but also making sure I was comfortable. My grandmother had even written down the directions to my new school just in case I didn't remember how to get there. It was all a bit overwhelming for someone who wasn't used to attention at all. I got to school just fine without my grandmother's directions though, but I kept them just in case I would need them, stuffing them into the glove compartment of the car that was now mine, after parking in the student parking lot of the high school I would be attending for my senior year of high school.

Even though it felt weird to call it that, I was just going to accept that it was mine since I knew my grandparents weren't going to take it back.

Once I had grabbed all my things from my car, I got out and then shut the door. I locked it up once the door was shut and then headed into the school so I could go to the front office to pick up my schedule. I wanted to get started looking for my classes before the school day started so I had an idea where there were.

Thankfully the front office wasn't that hard to find since I had come with my grandmother when she had registered me and stepped inside the building after opening up the door. I walked up to the counter that went from wall to wall and waited for someone to help me. There was a guy in the corner on his phone, but as I looked around the room I found that he was the only one in the room. I wasn't sure if he was going to help me or if he was in the office for another reason.

Looking around the office and waiting for a few more minutes, I didn't think anyone was coming to help me right away. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked the time after lighting the screen up. There was still time before first period class started to look for all my classes, but I had no idea what class I had or where it was so I was stuck until someone came and helped me.

I really didn't want to be late on my first day of school at a new school so I hoped someone would come and help me before too much time slipped away, but I knew that even if I was late, being new was a good excuse for being late. So, I tried not to worry too much about how time was passing by and giving me less time to look for my classes.

Eventually the guy in the corner looked up and saw me as I was messing with my phone while looking up every once in awhile to see if someone was coming to help me. I saw him get up from the chair he was sitting in and came over to me. I guess maybe he would be able to help me. Now that I think about it, he might be one of the students who worked in the office as an office aid, which he meant he could most likely be a senior like me.