Chapter 25

I looked around the empty park from the swing that I was sitting on. It was surprising that there was no one in the park today. The weather was cold, but for December it was warmer here in California then some of the other places I had lived in during this time of the year. School was out for the day with only two more weeks until Winter Break, but the park was still empty, except for me of course. Nathan was going to join me in a few minutes so it wouldn't be too much longer until the park had more than one person in it.

We had only seen each other a couple times at school since the kiss, mostly in the classes we had together where we felt like we could talk freely without Alexis knowing, but we didn't talk for very long just in case there was someone willing to tell on us. Nathan and I still wanted it to seem like we weren't friends anymore. Or at least that I wanted it to seem like I didn't want to be friends with him anymore.

I'm sure by the way our conversations looked to the people around us, it looked one-sided since Nathan usually did more talking than I did. It wasn't because I wanted to ignore Nathan, but just because I didn't want it to get back to Alexis that I was talking to her boyfriend again and make her think that I was okay with Nathan dating her when I had clearly stated that I wasn't okay with it all.

But even though I was staying away from Nathan as much as I could during school hours, she still flaunted their relationship in front of me especially in the cooking class we had together. It was just too bad for her that she wasn't at the same table as her boyfriend, which I knew she wanted to be so she could flaunt her relationship with Nathan even more.

Alexis had tried to bribe Mrs. Williams into switching her over to our table, but Mrs. Williams hadn't budged at all. She was set on keeping the tables the way they had been since the beginning of the school year so Alexis was out of luck. But I had other things to worry about than Alexis rubbing her one-sided relationship in my face.

It was gross and hurtful every time she grabbed Nathan to pull him in and then practically maul his mouth with her own, but I walked away as quickly as I could so I would haven't to watch them together. I felt bad for Nathan though because those kisses shouldn't even be called kisses. Alexis just wanted to mark her territory every time I passed by them.

I looked away as much as I could if I couldn't walk away from them because I knew the truth. Nathan didn't really want to be with her, but it still killed me every time he had to kiss her because I wanted it to be me. So I focused instead on counting down the days to when the test results would arrive to tell me if James Ryan was my father or not because that was pretty much the only thing I could look forward to right now.

Nathan and I hadn't really had a chance to talk about the kiss we had shared that day he announced that he was back with Alexis, but we would hopefully do that today once Nathan arrived at the park. Then I would have something else to look forward to. But I do have to say that I was more excited to find out if I had finally found my father after all of these years of waiting and hoping.

It had been a week since I had met the man who could possibly be my father. I hadn't seen him since because he was busy working on a movie at the moment, but I would be seeing him again when the test results finally came in, which should be any day by now. Since I didn't want to get too attached to James Ryan, I didn't want to hang out with him until I knew if he was my father or not, which is another reason why I hadn't seen him for a week.

I didn't want to get too close to him just yet until I knew if he was my father and I think he felt the same way about the situation because he hadn't called me to make any plans. It would probably be weird if it turned out that I wasn't his daughter and we had become friends. But I hoped that he was my father because I didn't want to keep searching. I wanted this to be the end of the road for the ambition that I always had to find my father.