Chapter 3

Deciding that I should get a head start on packing so I could be ready to leave when my grandparents got here, I stood up from my bed and then walked over to my closet. I had no idea if I was actually going to stay here after my grandparents got here until they got custody of me, but it didn't hurt to pack up my things just in case they decided to have me stay somewhere else like a hotel, which I really preferred because I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible and leave it all behind.

Once I had reached my closet, I grabbed the bags off the top shelf in my closet and then took them back to my bed. I knew that all my things would fit into them since I had packed all of my things into them many times before.

After getting all my clothing items into one bag, I started stuffing all the albums I owned in with my clothes so they would be protected and didn't break while I was traveling. The other bag I filled with my books, pictures, and a bunch  of other random things.

I was just about to stuff my purse into the second bag so I would only have two bags to carry when I heard the phone ringing from the kitchen. It was the only phone that Charlotte and I had for when we needed to be contacted. And it reminded me that I would have to call my boss or go see him to tell him that I would have to quit since I would be moving.

Either way, I needed to let him know as soon as possible so he had time to find someone before I left. I was unsure of how long I would be staying once my grandparents arrived, but it wouldn't be for too much longer. Once my grandparents had custody of me, I'm sure we would be on our way to California. Unless they wanted to see their daughter. They could do that without me though.

After I dropped my purse back onto my bed, I left my room and then headed through the living room to get to the kitchen, walking as quickly as I could and picking up the phone before it could stop ringing. I said hello into the phone after picking it up and then waited for whoever was calling to answer me back. I had a feeling that it was one of my grandparents since Officer Moreno had told me that they were going to call after they had reached the airport. There was silence for a couple of seconds before a woman's voice said, "Hello? Is this Rhiannon?"

"Yes, this is her. Who is this?" I answered. Even though I didn't recognize the voice on the other end at all, I still had a feeling that it was my grandmother.

"Hello, Rhiannon honey. My name is Michelle Mallory. I'm your grandmother. Officer Moreno told you we were going to call, right?" the woman's voice asked me. I walked over to the couch as I answered back, "Yes, she did tell me. I'm glad she was able to find you."

"I'm glad that she was able to find us too. We've spent most of your life trying to find you and your mother. We mostly just wanted to find your mother for answers, but we also knew that if we found her before we found you then we would find you as well. Our search was focused on you though," she replied as I sat down on the couch and got comfortable. And then I said, "You can thank Charlotte for that. She's the one who changed our last names. Was my name always Rhiannon or did she change that too?"

"I don't know if I can answer that. Charlotte gave us a different name than the one you have now at the hospital the day you were born, which was Taylor Anne Mallory, but I don't think she ever actually gave you that name. She could have given that name to everyone, which is a pretty common name, to make everything think that was the name she had put on your birth certificate. But soon after you disappeared, we realized that she hadn't actually given you that name. I think Rhiannon Blake is better though. It probably suits you better than Taylor Anne Mallory. I know your mother can be a bit much to handle, but she was always different and I know you probably are to since you are her daughter. I just hope you haven't taken after her partying ways," my grandmother replied.