As If Moving, Transferring Schools, and Meeting the Possible Love of My Life Wasn't Enough! (Ch. 4)

**A/N: Here you guys go. I'm putting my voting thingi back up, 'cause I am going to have some free time this coming week. Four votes or comments 'til I post more! :) <3 SarahRuRu**

As If Moving, Transferring Schools, and Meeting the Possible Love of My Life Wasn't Enough!

Chapter 4: Stranger danger

Point of view: Casey

I first heard the alarm in math, my new first class of the day. At first I thought it was the bell signaling class was over, but when I checked my watch I had only been sitting there for five minutes. I looked up, and saw panicked expressions on most of my classmates. Why would they be panicking? 'Oh no, we're getting out of class early?' What's going on? Right as this thought went through my mind, the bell rang again. That's when I noticed my worst nightmare was coming true; the school was on fire, and I am stuck inside.

I quickly jumped out of my seat and started rushing towards the door, but the fire must have been really close to this classroom because I was already starting to breathe in lung-fulls of smoke.

I looked around for my classmates, but I couldn't see anyone, the smoke was already impairing my vision. I think this is when the majority of the panic set in: I completely lost it.

I'm not sure if it was due to the fact that my parents died in a fire, or just the instinct to survive, but I started crawling across the laminate flooring, as far away from the smoke as I could get. This is where I messed up; I started screaming. At the time, I thought this was a good idea, I wanted people, or firefighters, or whoever, to find me.

You could already tell my lungs were full of smoke, my voice sounded raspy, and I was having coughing fits after every blood-curling scream.

I'm not sure how long or far I crawled, but all I remember was my brother, who was crawling like me, ran into me, and then I grabbed him and kissed him on the cheek. Apparently that was all I could take and I started crying uncontrollably.

My brother then proceeded to pick me up and turned around carrying me outside. All of my will power was being used to hold my hands around his neck. Once we were outside, my brother carried me to a tree near an ambulance, and set me down gently. I took in a dozen or so breaths of the less-smoky air, trying to clear out my lungs. When I was done, I looked over at my brother to thank him, and probably hug him again. It took my mind a couple seconds to process, but the guy who carried me out of the fire wasn't my brother, I didn't even know him. He looked about my age, and has black hair and was surprisingly tan. The shock must have been evident on my face but when I looked at him again he looked as shocked as I was. Maybe he thought I was someone else? I was about to ask him this, but he pointed over my shoulder, and I immediately turned my head and saw my brother. Oh my goodness, I forgot about my brother! This whole time I though he was with me, well until now, but oh my goodness. I was about to rush over to my brother, but then I remembered the stranger. He saved my life.

I quickly bent down and hugged the stranger, whispering, "Thank you so much, you saved my life." And mentally laughed at how much I sounded like a cheesy movie. Once I was done, I ran over to my brother, or I tried to, but I ended up only making it half way there before I started coughing. I guess I hadn't cleaned out my lungs as well as I thought I did.

Paramedics started rushing towards me, and before I knew it, I was in the ambulance getting treated for smoke inhalation. They snapped an oxygen mask on my face, and instructed me to take deep breaths. I did as I was told, but I was worrying about my brother. When did he get out of the fire? Was he okay? Did he inhale as much smoke as I did? I didn't get that much time to think though because before I knew it I was being checked in at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

A couple hours later I was checked out after they stuck a tube down my throat to look at my lungs. They said I had inhaled a lot of smoke, but my lungs weren't that damaged. I asked if I could borrow their phone to call my brother, and they gladly let me.

It was all I could do to not cry when I heard my brother pick up the phone.

"Hey bro. Can you come get me? I'm at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital." I said trying to talk normally.

"Yeah, I know where you are, they called me but said to stay home because they already had your results by then. I'll be there in about twenty minutes, 'kay?" He said sounding relieved to hear from me.

"Yep, that's fine. Drive safe, I love you." I practically whispered, and then hung up the phone before he could reply because I was that close to crying.

"Hey, you okay?" said a mysterious voice from behind me.

"Hmm?" I said unconsciously, then spun around on my heel to face the speaker.

"Are you okay?" He repeated.

I could have sworn my mind was playing tricks on me because it was him, the guy who saved my life earlier, and there is no way he wants to talk to the freak who kissed him on the cheek, and required assistance to walk out of a building. But, low and behold, there he was...

© SarahRuRu

**A/N: Here you guys go. I'm putting my voting thingi back up, 'cause I am going to have some free time this coming week. Four votes or comments 'til I post more! :) <3 SarahRuRu**