The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 1 (Picture of Chastity)

August

Chastity

“What?” My father roared, jumping out of his comfortable spot on the couch. His usually calm and humble face was now a deep shape of red, and his bright blue eyes appeared to be on fire. I sat in a chair across from him and my shocked-face mother. Tears were brimming in my eyes as I tried to explain to my parents what was happening to me. What was happening inside of me.

“Daddy, please, I didn't mean to-” The tears were flowing now. I had expected my dad to explode, but it didn't mean that I enjoyed any of it. My dad was a pastor at the local church. He was quite popular, younger and fresher than the other older pastors in the city of Rochester, Minnesota.

“Didn't mean to?” he shouted, much to the horror of my mother, who's ideal life was full of companiable silence and small talk. “How does one not mean to get pregnant with their boyfriend?” He said pregnant and boyfriend like they were the names of diseases, deathly and evil.

I had been with Erik for two years, ever since I had started high school. My father and mother were tentative about me dating so young, but Erik was probably the nicest and most respectable boyfriend in Rochester, so they gave in. Both of them grew to love Erik, and so did I. That's why two months Erik and I decided that we should preserve the love that was so strong. And now here I am.

Erik was with me while my dad was thundering, holding my hand and brushing away the tears with his soft fingers.

“Honey, it is quite awful that you have put us all through this.” My mother murmured. Put them through this? What about what's going to happen to me?

“It's disgraceful! Do you know that the whole town will be gossiping about this? Not to mention the shunning we will get from the church citizens!”

“Mr. Kapurs, with all due respect-” Erik had begun to speak, but my dad cut him off.

“I don't want to hear one word from you.” He spat. “In fact, I don't even know why you're here. Leave.” My father pointed to the door.

“But Daddy-” I cried. I clutched Erik's hand. He couldn't leave me.

“Now!” He thundered. Erik looked at me, sending a thoughtful apology through his eyes. He squeezed my hand, and then stood up to leave.

“I'll see you around, Chastity.” He said, and walked out the door. My dad watched him leave, and then turned back to me.

“As for you, young lady, I want you out of my sight.” He said quietly. My mother gasped.

“But Peter!” She cried. “Where will she go?”

“She's not of our concern anymore, Hannah.” He said. “Now leave.” He looked at me. I felt my heart shatter and cut me inside.

“Daddy, I'm so sorry, just let me stay. Please!” I cried through my sobs.

“No, please. Just leave.” My dad didn't look angry anymore, just defeated. I knew there was no point in fighting, so I went upstairs to grab some of my things.

* * *

I was standing at a bus stop, sweating in the amount of layers I had thrown on that couldn't fit in my duffel bag. The scenes from tonight kept poking through my mind, sending sharp, little pains through my body. I felt sick to my stomach, but I didn't know if that was the sadness or the pregnancy.

The bus eventually pulled up, and the driver showed me mercy by giving me some of his motion-sickness medicine when he noticed my slightly green face. (Kind of ironic that a bus driver has motion sickness.) The smell of the bus made me scrunch up my nose, as much as I hated admitting that I was from a pretty well-off family.

I stepped off in Erik's neighbourhood, and walked the rest of the way to his house. I rang the doorbell, and thankfully he answered. I looked at him, and the pain must have showed because he enveloped me in a big bear hug. I stood on his doorstep, crying, until he brought me inside and let me lie down in the guest room.

My crying eventually became muffled sobs in the pillow, and then they became silent for I had finally fallen asleep.