Figuring things out

Chapter Twenty Six

****

Believe it or not once again Allison, Lydia, and I are roaming through the woods just like the day Scott ended up getting tased, except this time Allison isn't shooting an explosive arrow.

....At least I don't think she is....

"Lydia, how is shooting an arrow going to help Allison?" I asked as she placed a target up on one of the large tree trunks.

"Yeah, do you really think this is gonna help?"

Lydia let out a heavy sigh as she walked back over to where we were standing, "I know that if you think it's not going to help it definitely won't. So get your head into it, shoot a few and see what happens."

My best friend nodded and pulled the arrow back, but instead of her usually steady hand, she was trembling like crazy. "I feel like I should have some kind of protective gear on..." I mumbled, keeping a close eye on what was happening beside me.

"Shut up, Autumn." Lydia sassed, glaring in my direction.

The whizzing sound of an arrow filled my ears so I turned from Allison to the direction of the tree just in time to see the arrow land next to it, nowhere near the target.  Allison glanced at the arrow discouraged before sending my sister a look. "It's only the first one, maybe you need to warm up or something..."

Allison? Warm up before she shoots an arrow? Never.

My best friend let out a huff of annoyance before picking up another arrow to try again, this one landing even farther away than the first one.

I crossed my arms over my chest and gave her a sympathetic look, "Maybe you should try holding the string a different way....Try the Mongolian draw." She turned giving me a weird look, "What? I learned a little bit about archery when I found out my best friend was literally a beast at it, okay? My bad, sue me. Geez. This is supposed to be a no judgement zone here. Just....Just try the Mongolian draw, okay?"

She shrugged, "okay, I guess I can try it..."

She tried it....and completely missed, which visibly made her even more frustrated than she was before.

"Okay, um....Take a second to close your eyes and imagine the arrow going into the target."

Allison shut her eyes tightly and exhaled a large breath. A few seconds later her eyes popped open, and I could see her body jerk a little as she looked off into the woods. "Did you see that?"

I looked off into the distance, "All I can see is a bunch of branches moving because of the wind, so if that's what you're talking about then yes...."

"Wait here." She said as she carefully picked up the remaining arrows, still gazing off deeper into the woods.

"Are you serious?" Lydia asked, her hands out in front of her.

"I'll be right back."

"You did not just say that." Lydia whispered as our best friend wandered off by herself.

I took a look at our surroundings, "Yup. She did...and you know...I don't think it was a very smart idea to let her walk off with the arrow alone. Is this déjà vu or what?"

Lydia nodded, "Yeah, all we need is Scott to show up and it's a party."

I glanced back in the direction where Allison went, and the only thing I could see was an arrow heading straight for Lydia's head. "Lydia!!!!" Before she could even react, I rushed over to push her out of the way but a hand grasped the arrow right before it could hit either of us. My heart literally stopped for a moment, and my whole body began shaking. When I finally looked up Isaac was standing holding the arrow in the air, "Oh my–Great timing, Isaac."