A story in my mind

Memories encased like a book in my mind, a never ending story of us.
Playing catch in the garden, I was thirteen yet it was a favourite game of mine, it was time me and you spent together alone where we didn't have to worry who would see and what would be said.
Match day at school children against adults most chose their parent, I chose you, again anything to spent time together in my eyes.
The story changed slightly as I got older, you started turning up to watch me, always managing to avoid being spotted by authority and I smiled because you made the effort, yet was it right? was I right thinking we were thinking the same, I still don't know.
Early twenties I changed, I found a boy more my own age a distraction for awhile yet it didn't last, everytime I was in town you would be around and I fell for that charm again.
We fell in to a routine, flirting, yet in all the years neither one of us could tell the other our true feelings, I guess I always thought you just knew and maybe you did, again another part of the story we will never know.
Life is a story that we get to write and change as we like and in my mind I change this story all the time because I left it too late in life and neither one of us saw what was coming.
I often think if you had a chance to relive life would you change what happened, but then if you changed the circumstances would we never meet,or was we always destined to be apart of each other life.