Twenty Nine - Dinner?

At this moment, I'm not thinking about when the Vardens are coming and when I have to get ready. I'm not thinking about the huge ass diamond ring on my finger and the responsibilities it comes with. I'm not even thinking about the fact that the one person I thought was tougher than a rock is now convulsing with sadness. Just the fact that this would happen to someone so young, so bright, and so full of potential irks me. It makes absolutely no sense that something as sick as this would ever be cast upon someone I've come to love.

"Where is he?" I clear my throat, breaking the almost-silence of his crying.

Gabe wipes his face before answering me. "In the hospital. My brother is with him right now. He's just being tested. My parents needed to come and take a second to themselves."

"Oh." I stare at him, taking in his exact features. "I want to see him later."

"He misses you." Gabe breaks our gaze and looks at his feet.

"I miss you too." I move my hand over his, looking into his eyes when he faces me. It feels as if our faces are subconsciously moving closer and closer.

"Hey bud! I'm so sorry." Jesse Varden bursts through my door and hugs Gabe. I quickly move my hand away and fold my arms. "Hey, you should get ready. Formal dress." Jesse winks and sits next to Gabe.

"Okay." I stand up and go to my closet, trying to shake off the moment that just occurred. Damn Jesse, you have to ruin everything. I silently look through my clothes, glancing back at the two guys sitting on my bed. When they walk out, I sigh and grab a random dress off a hanger and go to the bathroom. I'm really not feeling this dinner at all. The dress I ended up grabbing was one that Tanner bought me awhile ago. It's pink with a big black bow around the middle. I leave my hair and makeup, not giving a shit about my teary face. I find a random pair of black heels and grab my wallet with my phone in it before walking downstairs.

"We're gonna take off." The Gordons walk to the front door, turning around and waving one last time.

"Goodbye." I curtly smile and finish walking down the stairs.

"I'll text you later." Gabe nods at me and follows his family out of our house. Jesse glances between us before putting his fake smile back on.

"Ready?" He shifts his gaze from Gabe and back to me.

"Yeah. I thought your dad was coming?" I look out the window, seeing nothing but Jesse's car.

"I figured it would be better just the two of us." Jesse smirks and opens the door. "After you."

"Bye Aunt Laura and Uncle Lucas." I turn to them before heading out the door with Jesse trailing behind.

"You like singing right?" Jesse opens the car door for me.

"Uh yes?" I question him, getting in and letting him close the door. The fact that I got a scholarship to Julliard hadn't occurred to him?

"Great." He flashes a grin when he gets in and starts the car, heading off on to the highway.

"We're going somewhere far?" I frown and turn to him.

"Yes. Only the best for you. It's not a bad drive. You can sleep if you want." He shrugs.

"Okay." I turn back and lean my head against the window, sleep suddenly overcoming all my thoughts and pushing me away

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Hey. We're here." A voice booms through the blackness, causing my eyes to open. I look around and see a fancy brick building before us, lights illuminating around it. "Are you ready?" I look to my right and see Jesse holding open the car door.