Twenty Eight - Answers

I'm literally speechless. I frantically look at the crowd of fellow classmates and their families, expectantly waiting for an answer. I glance back down at Jesse, his face a worried mess. I honestly have no idea whether this was planned or if he actually likes me this much that he would marry me. It's hard to tell lately with everything that has happened. I still love Gabe. I may always love Gabe, no matter what he does or says to me. At that, I look to him in the crowd. He's in the front row, right next to Samantha. She's smirking at me with Gabe looking at the ground beside her.

"Well?" Jesse takes my hand in his and looks hopefully up at me.

I don't want public humiliation at my high school ceremony. My aunt still hasn't told me what's up with my uncle and his work. I sigh and put a fake smile on my face.

"Yes."

Jesse slides the ring on my finger and stands up to kiss me. Everyone starts clapping. Everyone but that one person I really care about. Gabe stands up and walks away from everyone and straight to the parking lot behind the school. I walk down with Jesse, him with his arm around my waist. We go back to our seats and wait for our principal to close the ceremony.

~~A lil more scholarships later~~

"That concludes this class's college ceremony. I wish all of you the best. Goodnight." Everyone claps and stands up to leave.

"Do you want to have dinner tomorrow? With my dad and your aunt and uncle?" Jesse asks, intertwining our fingers.

"Sure." I smile and kiss him. "I better get home but I'll see you later."

"I love you." Jesse smiles back.

"Love you too." I choke out and follow my aunt and uncle to their car.

"Well that was something huh, kiddo?" My uncle pats my back and smiles.

"Sure was." I swallow back tears forming.

"It's a short ride home so do you want any food on the way?" Aunt Laura asks.

"No. I'm fine." I shake my head and get in the back of their suburban.

"Ah okay!" Uncle Lucas laughs and drives the rest of the way home.

When we get there, I hop out and rush to the door, eager to get inside to be alone.

"Alyssa! Wait!" Aunt Laura calls and hurries up to me. "We let your friend, Tanner, is it? Stay here while we were gone he's probably in your room by now."

"Okay. Thanks." I nod and scamper up the stairs, closing the door behind me. Sure enough, Tanner is laying on my bed, scrolling through his phone.

"How'd it go?" He sits up and smiles at me.

"I got a scholarship to Julliard." I sob.

"That's amazing! Happy tears?" Tanner gets up and hugs me.

"No." I sob more into his chest.

"What is it?" I pull away and show him my hand. "Who?"

"Jesse." I cry harder and lean back into him.

"Why did you say yes?" Tanner backs up and pulls me onto my bed.

"It was in front of the whole school, Tanner. My uncle works with his dad. This would so affect his job."

"Maybe you should talk to him." He rubs my back.

"I will. I just need time to process everything." I shake my head.

"Alright. I gotta go but I'll call you tomorrow, I promise." Tanner kisses my head and walks out.

I sigh and change into some pajamas before crawling into bed. I move to turn my lamp off until I see a figure standing on my balcony. I get out of my bed and open the doors for him. He silently walks in and sits on the corner of my bed. I sit beside him and put my hand on his leg. He squeezes it and looks at me.