Prologue

Beep beep beep.

The sound of the beginning of my day. Today's the day I go and spend it with my brother.

He's been in college for 2 years already. He wants to be a lawyer.

I hope to be an artist. He thinks it's stupid but I think he's stupid.

I get out of my perfect little bed and walk to my perfect little mirror.

My chocolate brown eyes are full of hope and my blonde hair shows perfection.

I slip on a pair of jeans and a red sweatshirt. It's September 13th. And it's Friday.

My school is weird. They have some religious thing with Friday's on the 13th so we have the day off.

Wisconsin is weird like that.

I search my messy floor for my red converse and find them under my bed.

My parents left late last night to go on their weekend long trip to Washington DC.

My mom is a scientist. My dad works for the government.

You can see how I don't fit into this family. Everyone has been successful. 

I hope to be the greatest artist. I hope to date the cute guy in my AP world history class. I hope to get an A in gym because I can't even run 2 laps. I hope to see my best friend, Tanner, get the girl he wants. I hope that my other best friend wins the lottery so she can get the car she wants.

My family doesn't believe in hopes or dreams. They believe in facts and statistics.

My iPhone vibrated on the nightstand, indicating I got a text.

'Here' was splayed across the screen.

I opened up my perfect wood door and walked down the stairs of my perfect house. I walked past my perfect family photos and out the great red door.

My brother's BMW was parked in the driveway and I slipped into the passenger's side.

He greeted me and took off to the baseball game that we were going to.

My brother has a passion for baseball. He played it throughout high school but decided to focus on academics.

The car ride we made small talk. I don't like to speak deeply with him because he's just going to go back to Harvard. He stays there. It's about 31 hours away if you drive.

We got to the stadium and I followed my brother in. He ordered us hot dogs. I walked to the bathroom while he went and got peanuts.

When I came out, he was a wreck.

"Mike what's wrong?" I questioned him.

He pointed to the TV screen hanging from the wall.

"Today we are reporting live from Washington DC. Government authorities met up today to discuss plans. A terrorist attack was planned and almost everyone was shot to death. Several bodies are still being examined for their identities. Among the deceased were Amy and John Woods."

I looked at him.

"Did you get a call?"

All he did was nod.

I didn't cry. I just took his hand and walked him back to the car.

This was the moment I heard my parents were dead.

This was the moment I realized I would never be able to talk to them again.

This was the moment I knew I was actually alone.

This was the moment all my hopes were lost.