Chapter 12: Cosplays

"..Hmp. Took you long enough." BEN grinned. But his grin faded as he snapped his head towards the darkness. I looked past his shoulder, half expecting something to come out scare me. But I saw nothing. Instead, I heard a very faint echo of a slam. Or something.

"Stay here." BEN ordered, leaving me, and walking into the dark alley without another word. He seemed to be bothered by it.

"God help my soul. What is it now?" I sighed to myself and I waited for BEN to come back.

A minute slowly passed by. Then 5. Then 20.. And he still didn't come back yet.

I hesitated on whether or not to come after him. What if he was in trouble? Bah, am I really considering that after having seen him attack people?

Something was nagging at me to follow, but I could barely see outlines of things lying on the ground. The moonlight barely touched the walls, blocked by the tall building that loomed over the alley.

Yup. Totally a one way ticket to the land of the boogeyman and all his fellow, creepy alley residents. It's not being able to see that's bothering me. It's what or who else might be in there. Or being utterly alone in an unfamiliar place.

                       I took my phone out of my bag and turned it on to light up the way, then I stepped in to the alley. I wanted to be brave- or act brave and not just stand around. The first thing I saw was a creature lying on it's wing on the ground. I crouched down and examined it.

"Poor thing.." I mumbled and got up after a moment of silence, feeling bad for the bird.

                       "BEN?" I called out, no response. My eyes were adjusting to the darkness, but I still can't see much beyond the light of my phone. There were trash bins, mice, ants, and a pair of glowing, yellow eyes. I froze upon seeing it at first. Then flashed my light to see that it was just an alley cat.

I sighed and crouched down with a little smile. "Hey there, cutie." I mumbled to the cat. I coaxed it to walk over to me and petted it. It's fur was mangled, but a cat is a cat, nonetheless.

                       Anyways, I had stumbled upon a corner turning left. It looked way darker than that of the straight-forward lane. I was startled when a small flock of birds flew up above, cawing.          

I stared into the darkness with curiosity, I was about to light up the way. But I heard something. I abruptly stopped and quickly turned off my light, fearing that whoever or whatever it was might see me.

                      "--We kill who we kill to save lives.." said the voice.

My ears perked up when I heard the word 'facility'. Horrible flashbacks invaded my mind. I shook my head, trying to ignore them. A wave of uneasiness engulfed me.

I crept up to the corner and strained my ears to listen. I could barely make out outlines of two people having an argument deep withing the alley.

"..what do you want me to do then..? Just sit and watch-?" A new voice seethed. It sounded oddly familiar, but it was too hushed up for me to recognize. Whoever they were, they seem like they're having a argument of some sort.

"...A girl whose life was-"

"-Was to originally surcease." The girl snapped. Her voice seemed to turn menacingly low, I couldn't hear what else she was saying.

"..I don't need a reminder about how things could go horribly wrong, Bridgette. Either way, (Y/N) will die." My blood went cold. They were talking about me.