Chapter 13: Choice of Compassion

The majority picked Choice B. Thank you all for voting!

~Earlier that evening~

                    Tim slowly adjusted the quality of his camera. He stood high up on a rooftop. Eyes and Lenses trained to a certain (H/C)-haired girl as she wandered lostly in the alley. Innocently wandering, not knowing what exactly she was getting herself into as she flashed light from her phone.

He pressed down on a button, the camera made a little beep sound and a led light went from dull grey to red. He started to record. Then, he shifted the focus to the crowd of people on the other end of the alley. More specifically, to a group of 4 people who was scouting around the area. They blended in well, he thought. But he knew perfectly well who they were and why they were here.

Unit 07.

If given the chance, Tim wouldn't hesitate on shooting that group of people- wretched monsters. If only he could get away with murder that easily.

                    The wind was cold, howling every once in a while. But thanks to it and the gentle whirring of a rooftop engine, the sound below was slightly muted. He felt the hairs on his arms stand due to it's cold caress. The cold had numbened him, he couldn't even feel that rough, leathery strap of the camera that was firmly wrapped around his hands.

It was a night where not even the moon was brighter than the festive lamps and candles that was lit in the streets. From where he stood, there were less people below and less noise. It unnerved Tim who, in all his life, was surrounded by the sound of crunching leaves, snapping twigs, and his own ragged breathing while he runs through the woods or through narrow paths.

For in these moments, the buzzing of static would follow. The monotonous beeps of the camera would pick up the pace as it lags while recording. It was almost as if this camera and he was one. Both grows hazy and panicked under pressure. Silence doesn't give him a sense of serenity. Silence is so easily shattered. But the anticipation of what's going to shatter it is a different matter.

He began to lose focus because of the fear growing inside him. He forced his shaky hand to stay still as sweat dripped down the side of his face, there was this heavy feeling in his head.

He hastily dug around his pockets with his free hand. Then, he pulled out a small, plastic pill bottle. He opened the lid with his thumb and popped in two, white pills into his mouth. He chewed them whole and dryly downed it. It tasted foul for him, but he was used to the ransid taste of his medication.

He grimaced, but sighed in relief. When will he stop depending on these pills? He raised his camera again, seeing how it blurs until it gets to a relatively medium-quality. Unjusting his grip and aim.

But that subtle relief didn't last too long.

                    He felt an intimidating presence grow behind him. He wasn't alienated to these type of presences, he knew it too well. Static filled his mind, the pills were unfortunately overpowered immediately. Static is the very embodiment of his fear. It's not just a noise that 'He' makes. It's an eerie noise that he would remember 'til the day he dies. It follows him whenever he feels at edge.

He slowly but casually lowered the camera and slipped his hand into a holster near his waist. Gripping the hilt of a gun, hidden. The subtle beeps of his camera got lost in the air, drowned out by the thumping of his heart.

"Tim."

                    An unexpected voice startled him from behind. Tim whipped around to meet a person. He almost pulled the trigger on them, it was one twitch away. But he immediately stopped himself from doing so once he saw a set of infamous and familiar red and black eyes.