Chapter 23: Bakery Jobs.

Bakery Jobs.

I completely jinxed myself when I said that my life was going so great at the moment and that nothing could dampen my mood. Yesterday when Chris made me feel pathetic was just proof that nothing good lasts.

I'm walking beside Alex trying my best to pay attention but find it hard without recapping towards yesterday's horrid events. Good I hate myself at the moment. I can't help but wonder what I did wrong to make him do a complete one-eighty and hate me so quick?

"Kae," she sighs, "I know something's clouding your mind and I promise if we have time today I'll pester you about it but did you just hear what I just said?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't." I shake my head with a sigh, running a hand through my straightened locks of black hair.

"I said that you need to be at my mama's bakery after school as soon as you can," she says stressfully and I really do feel for her.

"I promise I will," I squeeze her arm reassuringly and link my arm through hers. "Are you sure there's nothing else I can do to help? I hate seeing you so stressed."

"Nah, that's all girl." She sighs, smiling forcefully at me. "You helping out at the bakery is more than enough help."

"Speaking of the bakery," Lennie interjects into the conversation, "have you gotten someone to cover for me tomorrow cause I have training?"

"Shit, I forgot to ask someone," she curses herself. "Kae, you're still working tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yep." I nod my head and make sure to dodge the basketball that was thrown over my head.

"Aight, now I just need one more person to help you out." She nods to herself. "Don't worry, I'll find someone by tomorrow."

"Good luck." I smile at her reassuringly and squeeze closer to her to avoid getting nudged by people in the locker areas.

We get to our lockers to get our lunch and before I can reach mine I'm pushed to the floor. I yelp and go crashing into the tiles with a hard thud.

I hiss and clutch my hand that I landed on. That hurt so much and I have to refrain from screaming in agony.

I hear snickering and look up to see Amber looming over me with a smirk.

"Still clumsy as fuck I see." She snorts.

Something in me snaps and I glare at her. "I'm not clumsy! You pushed me!"

Alex pushes her away, making Amber stumble but she catches herself by landing into her friend who takes the fall for her. She forgets the girl who took her fall and glares at Alex who is helping me off the floor.

August somehow appears since his locker is in this area and helps me up also.

"Please tell me you didn't see that," I whisper to him.

"I was walking behind you, ma." He grimaces.

I snap my head to Amber who chuckles. "Damn, Aug you just love jumping to her rescue, don't you?"

"Amber, stop it," Chris says from behind her and it's just now that I realise he's here.

"Aw, why?" She whines.

He pulls her towards his body and starts whispering things harshly in her ear that make her roll her eyes with a smirk. "Okay, big boy. Relax with the threats."

August inspects my hand and I hiss at my finger that I can tell will be bruised by tomorrow.

"What a bitch," he hisses, touching it softly. "Want me to break her finger?"