Jade Thirlwall

"Well class, we are having a new student. Her name is Leigh-Anne... Pin..Cock?"

Laughter surrounded the room when our teacher, Mr. Ray seemed to have misread the new students name. I couldn't help but crack a smile as well.

Mr. Ray quickly fixed his pronunciation in embarrassment, and kept on talking with his redning cheeks. He was pretty old with his misfunctuing hair and wrinkly skin.  I'm surprised he hasn't retired or anything, but I guess he loves the academy more than most of us.

"Pinnock! I meant Pinnock. Leigh-Anne Pinnock."

He glanced at his papers, a couple times before his expression on his face seemed to have changed dramatically.

"Wow. Um,  there seems to be a prob- I mean, a disadvantage for this girl. It appears that she can't talk or speak."

His words grabbed my attention, and from the looks of it, so did others.
A girl who can't speak? That's a little strange. I've read about it in some fanfictions here and there, but I didn't think it was actually possible. 

"Well, in other words, she's mute. So I guess, knowing you guys, don't make fun of her or anything rude. How would you prefer it if you had the same disability," my teacher scorned us. He is correct though. I get made fun of way too much from other people. I find that stupid.

I'm Jade by the way. Jade Thirlwall. I am, as many people call it, a 'nerd' of this academy. Yes. I said academy. I live in a talent academy. It's a lot like a high school, except you live in it and learn to sing, dance, draw, write, ect.

It's a little strange, to be honest. I mean, I already have a hard time figuring out why school was created, but a school where you live in? Yikes!

My mother decided it was best for me if I wanted to pursue me dreams, but I honestly feel as if I'm going nowhere! I hardly have any friends ever since I've been rumored to have herpes or some other weird disease.

I tapped my pencil against my desk when I heard the door slowly creek open, allowing to show a pretty girl bit by bit. Her curly hair was beautifuly put down, her brown eyes glimmered with what seemed like hope, and her tanned like skin shimmered in the glowing light. It was hard to imagine her being taunted with beauty like that. I mean, even her outfit seemed to be spot on. It wasn't too classy, but it wasn't too boring neither.

I watched her walk up to the front of the class, looking as nervous as I always do just about everywhere where there is people.

"Class, this is Leigh-Anne Pinnock.  Please be kind and give her a hello."

Mr.Ray smiled a comforting smile at Leigh-Anne as everyone said as he told them to do, including me.

Once it was silent again, he glanced at the class before saying, "Leigh-Anne, you can sit next to Jade. She will be your roomate from now on. Jade raise your hand please."

Once I heard my name, I quickly panicked inside as thoughts started racing in my head.

What if she doesn't like me?

She'll probably treat me like everyone else!

After a while, I finally gained the courage to raise my hand, and waited for her to reject me.

Surprisingly though, she smiled at me and walked towards me in a friendly manner.

Wait, what? That is unusual. Well, she doesn't know anything about me yet, so that's probably why.

Leigh-Anne sat in the empty seat next to me that I have forgotten was even there. It's been a long time since anyone sat in that seat.

I hesitated at first, questioning if I should talk or not. I don't want to hut her feelings, and brag at how I can speak and she can't. How is she even going to talk to me? Is she going to use sign language or something. Do mute people even use that?