Chapter Twenty One - Purgatory

Cas (POV)

It had seemed such a long time, it had felt like centuries. And now Dean was back and everything seemed to be normal again. Everything seemed to move the way it should, time seemed to be ticking again and it wall all thanks to Dean.

Apparently we were going into a place so much more dangerous than hell but I didn't care, not even a little bit. I was with Dean and under the current circumstances, he made everything seem almost normal again.

Sure he was a demon and nothing was truly considered 'normal' while he was around but I supposed I just counted it at normal now.

Going through the portal we ended up in some kind of supernaturally woods where everything seemed distorted and eerily quiet. I clung onto dean, scared out of my wits while he hung onto his knife, knuckles going white by how hard he was holding the blade.

"Dean? Are you okay?" I ask in a shaky voice and he looks at me before nodding his head slowly.

"Super." He replies back in a drawl before beginning to walk deeper into the woods with me following close behind.

My hands shake in fear but I try to keep up appearances as I didn't want to be a liability on Dean. I wanted to make this as easy for him as possible. We walked for such a long time, my legs were getting tired and my whole body seemed like it was going I drop at any moment. In that second dean suddenly seemed to remember that I was mostly human and stopped abruptly to give me a time out.

"We will rest here for a little bit. Sleep if you want, I will stay up for first watch." Dean informs me and straight away I drop to the floor and curl up into a tight ball above the leaves.

I could feel Deans bright eyes staring down at me as I tried to get comfortable but the intensity of the gaze just made me shuffle around more before I quickly opened my eyes and stared back up at him.

"I didn't really know that first watch entailed watching me sleep." I mumble out to him which makes him grimace and turn his back on me, finally giving me the freedom to sleep peacefully. Or however peaceful I could sleep under the current situation.

I was jolted awake by a terrible screeching sound which i found out to be some sort of horrible creature that Dean was cutting the head off. It looked like it's whole face was just a huge, black mouth with too many teeth to fit into it. It's skin was scaly and it had a horrible tail which looked like it had a stinger on the end of it to paralyse it's victims. 

Dean cut off the head and burned the body with a lighter he produced from his pocket before turning back to look at my mortified and sickly face.

"Oh sorry, did i wake you?" I asked with what seemed to be genuine concern. I look up at him, my eyes wide and my mouth open in shock before shaking my head.

"No not at all, i was already awake." I breathe out and he nods his head slowly before kicking the burning body and rubbing his nose.

"C'mon, we should move our spot. The stink is pretty bad and it will draw more Leviathans closer to us." Dean says and i narrow my eyes in confusion.

"Leviathans?" I ask slowly and he nods his head. "But I thought Leviathans were sea monsters, not lizard type monsters." I tell him but it came out as more of a question.

"Me too until I had to deal with them for a whole season." 

We started walking again, and by now the woods were dark. And i mean DARK. I could barely see the hand in front of my face and there was no moon. I didn't know whether it was because we were in a completely different world and they didn't have moons in this dimension or because it was just a night where the moon didn't come out. Either way, i had to hold onto Dean's arm tightly so i knew which was to walk and where to tread.