Chapter 6

Lizzie’s POV 

Echo hadn’t returned. I had half expected to wake up and see her wandering around my room, studying my things. Yet I awoke to silence. I couldn’t even hear what was happening downstairs.

I pulled back the thick black curtains to reveal the moonlight. It shone a clear path out of this place, and I longed to follow it. As I gazed out across the side of the maze that was visible to me, I nearly doubled over in pain. I had been slightly peckish the past few days, but this... This was hunger at a whole new level. I had never felt like this before. 

Looking at the door, I thought I could make it downstairs. I needed help. As I moved across the room another wave of pain hit me and I slumped to the floor. What was wrong with me? 

I curled into a ball wishing the hunger pains would subside. But when was the last time I had fed? 

Evain.

My eyes widened in panic. I couldn’t call out because it hurt too much, who would think to come up here and look for me? A few minutes passed, the pain increasing tenfold. 

I was on the verge of unconsciousness when I heard a knock at the door. 

“Lizzie? Can I come in?” 

It was Elijah. “El—” I broke off coughing. 

The door flew open and I saw Elijah kneeling beside me. 

“Lizzie what happened? Who did this to you?” 

I focused on him and mouthed what I needed. Within seconds I was alone again. 

Elijah’s POV

I completely forgot that Lizzie needed Evain’s blood. And on that note, I wasn’t looking forward to having to find her and speak to her. I didn’t want to go into Damon’s room and see them together, I couldn’t bear it. 

I looked down; I hadn’t even bothered to put on a top I was in such a rush. Great. Just as I got downstairs I saw Evain at the top of the stairs about to go down. 

“Evain!” 

She spun round and looked at me, hope lit her eyes up. “Yes?” 

I almost smiled at her, I missed her touch. “Lizzie. She’s ill. She needs your blood!” No point beating around the bush. 

Evain sighed and followed me silently. Did she know? Was she trying to get out of it? I found I could no longer read the girl I had come to love. Love? 

When we got to Lizzie’s room, she was practically unconscious on the floor. I don’t remember it having hit me this quickly; she seemed fine the other day. 

I wanted to just let Evain get on with it, see if Lizzie could stop herself or not. But part of me just couldn’t let harm come to her. I had to do this properly. 

I sighed and went to fetch a glass. 

When I got back, Evain was on the floor talking to Lizzie and was moments away from being bitten. 

“Evain? Come here please.” I left emotion out of it; I wasn’t giving her the satisfaction. 

She looked at me sadly and complied. She knew what was coming and held out her hand towards me. I saw faint scars there from when she’d fed us before and I felt guilty. What was so special about her blood? 

I clasped her soft hand gently, ignoring the feeling in the pit of my stomach. Bringing it to my mouth, I bit down hard and she flinched. Once enough had been poured into the glass, I sealed her wound and moved towards Lizzie. 

“Here, drink this.” 

I held the glass to her lips as I propped her head up. She looked at me weakly and sipped. The moment she tasted the blood, the better she looked. Once the glass was completely empty, she looked better than she ever had. Who knew blood could have such an effect? 

“Thank you Elijah.” Lizzie smiled at me whilst pulling me into a hug. “Where did Evain go?” 

I looked around me and found that Evain must have slipped out whilst I was feeding Lizzie. I didn’t know how to feel about that. 

“I don’t know. Look, I really need to talk to you.”

Lizzie’s face clouded with concern and worry. Almost like a child that has been called in to see the head teacher without knowing what they’d done. 

“It’s about... Well, being up here means you’ve missed what’s happened downstairs.” 

She nodded slowly, “what have I missed?” 

I sighed and thought it was better than I get it over and done with. “Evain’s with Damon.” Lizzie’s jaw dropped, but before she could say anything I cut her off. “And I slept with Echo.” 

It looked as if she was struggling to process this. “No, Echo wouldn’t do that...” 

I stared at her incredulously. “Why would I lie?! This has been hard enough to admit. And trust me, it was hardly intentional. She seems to have this whole, touch her and want her thing going.”

Lizzie frowned. “So she tricked you? That doesn’t sound like her.” 

“She was also the one who filled me in with the details of Damon and Evain.” 

“But you must understand, Echo hates Damon! She would do anything she could to ruin things for him.” 

I nodded. “I understand that, but she didn’t ruin anything for Damon, she ruined things for Evain. I’m sure Evain would have happily been seeing Damon behind my back if she hadn’t accidentally blurted it out to me. And even more so because she tried lying about it. Echo told me everything.” I sighed and sat on the bed. What was I expecting from Lizzie? They were friends for years. 

“I had no idea Evain was with Damon, I swear.” Lizzie whispered. 

I nodded. “I know.” 

The bed sunk down next to me and Lizzie leant against my shoulder. “Things will work out. I’m just sorry you were tricked into being with Echo last night, I’ll try and talk to her about it.” 

At least they couldn’t compare stories; Lizzie had never been with me. But for one moment, a tiny moment, I wanted to kiss her. Just because she was there. Because my thoughts were on Evain. Because I wanted to forget everything and alcohol had little effect on me. 

I turned to look at Lizzie, and I nearly did it. She even looked at me questioningly. We both looked hurt, we both needed to forget. 

“Lizzie...” I barely whispered. 

“Yes?” Her eyes were already shut and she was leaning in. It was now or never. 

I backed away sharply causing Lizzie to nearly fall forwards. I couldn’t do it. 

“I’m sorry!” I gushed before I sped out of the room, never looking back. 

Evain’s POV

My so called morning, which was in fact evening, was crappy. I wake up and nearly get attacked, and then I’m summoned by Elijah to feed Lizzie. Another vampire that’s after my blood. And this was all because I had a dumb date leading me to walking down an alley alone. Finding Damon. I had to stop and help didn’t I? I couldn’t have just walked on and left him to it. Because to be honest, this wasn’t what I was expecting. 

I left Elijah to it, he didn’t need my help and it was awkward enough. I sighed as I trudged down the long corridor. Sooner than I thought, I approached the room where I’d heard a noise before. Curious and lonely, I opened the door slowly. 

It was dark and musty. Cobwebs hung low from the high ceiling. I moved slowly towards the window and drew back the curtains. I turned around and spotted an old candle and some matches. Just my luck for once! I lit it and light filled the room. 

Broken mirrors lined the walls and a bar ran along the side of the room. Was this a ballet studio? How unusual to have one upstairs. I heard laughter in the corner of the room and I spun round. 

“Wh-who’s there?” I called out to the semi darkness around me. 

I got no reply. Why would I get a reply? I’m alone. I laughed at my stupidity and walked over to the table with four drawers in it. I opened the top one cautiously and found it was filled to the brim with books. There were no titles and they all looked identical. Surely not more journals? 

I flicked through the one at the top that looked worn and used. It was blank. Completely blank. How odd. 

I picked up the next one but it was exactly the same. Why are all these blank books just sitting here with no writing in them? 

I thought I saw something on the page, a smudge maybe? As I went to touch it, writing appeared beneath my hand. 

Welcome back Ailyn. 

I stared at the writing. It appeared by itself? Writing doesn’t just appear like that! 

Would you like to review your last entry? It has been quite a while.

It was too old to have this modern technology in it! This isn’t possible. Even so, I bit back my fear and nodded at the book. I nodded at a book? I took a deep breath and sat on the dusty floor as writing appeared, almost as if it was being written right here and now. 

I skimmed over it, it was clearly Ailyn’s old journals, she did live here once. My eyes were drawn to a sentence right in the middle of her ranting, and boy did she rant a lot. 

It’s okay to love them both, they both have something different to offer me and I don’t care if it’s starting to turn Damon crazy, he’s still a beast when we’re in bed together. 

I cringed. Don’t I know it... I was about to read on when I heard a creak on the floor behind me. I turned round and was met with a blow to the head. I didn’t get to see who it was before the world went black. 

Thunder’s POV

“Yes, I’ve already sent for her today. She will be returning with information soon enough. Yes, I understand that it’s been longer than you wanted, but we’re doing things my way. There is no need to get snappy! Let’s just meet up later and sort this all out, I have something I’d like to give you.” I turned on my seductive voice right at the end to soften her harsh tones. I decided I was determined enough to get her into bed, all I had to do was touch her and she’d be mine. 

I moved downstairs and started pacing. Where was Echo? She should have been here an hour ago! As I thought that, I heard a loud bang upstairs. I guess Echo had teleported again, I didn't understand why she would waste her flying ability.

I ran upstairs and found Echo sitting on the floor next to a sack.

"Playing Santa are we?"

"Look, can I just leave now? I've brought you what you asked."

"No, I'm not done with you yet. So what's my gift? Is it Damon?" I was being hopeful.

"No, but it's someone close to him."

She opened the sack and for a moment I thought she had captured the mystery woman that had asked to meet me. But when I took a closer look, I realised that there were subtle differences between them. 

Echo went and stood in the corner as I tied this girl to a chair. I didn’t want her escaping, that wouldn’t suit me well at all. 

“You can leave the room now, but I will want to speak to you momentarily so don’t even think about teleporting.” 

Echo nodded slowly and left the room. Now it was time for some fun. 

I sat patiently for a few minutes whilst the girl returned to consciousness. I was leaning back in an old chair, my hands pressed together as I thought out what I could do to her to get information. I found myself wanting her as much as I wanted the mystery woman, how alike could two people be? 

Groggily, she opened her eyes and scanned the room, coming to rest on me. “Who are you? What am I doing here?” 

I smiled slowly. “I want information about Damon.” 

She gulped. “What do you mean?” 

“I want to know his weaknesses; I want to know where he is, how I can get to him! And you’re going to be the one to tell me all this.”

She shook her head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” 

Protecting Damon? Surely she isn’t another one he’s gotten into bed with. I rolled my eyes; I had ways of making her talk. 

“Sweetie, things aren’t going to be pretty if you refuse to talk to me. Now I know you know something, otherwise you wouldn’t have been brought to me. Now, start talking or I’ll have to make you talk.” 

She looked around the room, planning an escape maybe? 

“Stop trying, there’s no way out of here.” 

“Who are you?” She stared at me defiantly, she was certainly courageous. 

“Your worst nightmare. Now are you going to do this the easy way or the hard way?” 

She clamped her mouth shut. Why was she so protective of Damon? He just used people anyway. 

I walked over to her and leant in close to her ear. “Tell me where he is.” 

“How did I get here? Was it Echo?” 

Well, she was the smart one. “Now what makes you say that?” 

“Echo hates me.” 

Wonder why, if this girl is involved with Damon then I’m not surprised. Echo hated him almost as much as I did. 

“Well yes, she works for me. Now, answer my questions!”

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “I don’t know why she took me then, Damon was in the house too.” 

I felt enraged. She hadn’t said that he was around. And if he was around, why didn’t she bring him instead. 

“I see. Would you excuse me a second.” I left the room in a hurry. “Echo!” I bellowed. 

“Yes?” 

I turned around and found her cowering in the corner. “Ah Echo, I think you’ve forgotten to tell me something.” 

She shook her head quickly. “No, nothing.”

“I think you’re lying. See the informant you brought has claimed that Damon was in the same place as you were. So if that’s true, why bring her and not Damon? Did you really not think that I would prefer to have him tied up and unconscious than some random whore of his?” 

Echo couldn’t meet my gaze and her blonde hair hung in front of her face. “I’m s-sorry.” 

I lashed out and caught her round the cheek. “It just isn’t good enough.” 

She fell to the floor clutching her cheek and I returned to the informant who was now struggling out of her ties. 

“Right, that’s been cleared up and I know where he is, excellent.” 

She glared at me. “He’s not alone; there are other vampires in the house.” 

I chuckled. “Trust you to be the only human then.” 

She gaped. “How did you...”

“Lucky guess. Now, if you could tell me his weakness that would be the icing on the cake.” 

“He has no weaknesses.” 

“Bullshit! Everyone has a weakness.” 

“Well I don’t know his!” 

I studied her closely. “Could it be you by any chance?” 

A blush crept up her neck and that was all the answer I needed. 

“Of course it’s not me! How could I be somebody’s weakness?”

I smiled. “Quite easily, if they have feelings for you. Strong ones at that.” 

She hung her head in silence, a sign of defeat. Betrayal was such a stressful thing to go through, the poor girl. I laughed loudly. As if I cared, I just wanted to get my hands on Damon.

“What did he do to you? Why do you hate him so much?” She whispered softly, I barely heard her. 

My face clouded over. “He made me fall.” 

“Surely you would have brought that on yourself.” 

She was just asking to be hit now. “No, but I don’t expect a puny human like yourself to understand.” 

“He couldn’t have made you fall if you weren’t evil to begin with.”

Before I knew what I was doing, I had swung my fist at her and she and the chair went flying. She was still attached to the chair so it was pinning her down in an awkward position. 

Her breaths were coming short and heavy as I pulled the chair and her back up. There was a big red mark across her cheek. Oh this was good; Damon would be so annoyed at this. This time when I approached her, I held onto the chair with one hand as I swung the other. With my ring on, a large scratch appeared across her face and blood welled up in the cut. 

“Stop! Please!” 

I turned round and saw Echo at the doorway. I sighed, “Why should I stop? Don’t tell me you want her to be safe now? I mean, you brought her here instead of Damon. So now let me do what I need to do. In fact, you can go back and tell Damon where she is, and then he’ll come straight to me.” 

She shook her head, horrified. “I don’t like him, but you’re going to kill him! I can’t let you do that.”

“Now’s not the time to gain a conscience. Also, you weren’t sent here to do my bidding, yet you have been. If you haven’t brought me back to the ‘good side’ by now then why continue trying?” I laughed at the defeat in her eyes. “Now go and get Damon, I have to reconcile with a friend tonight and I want to make sure I’m back before Damon gets here.” 

With that Echo disappeared from that spot and I looked back at the girl tied up. She was drifting in and out of consciousness and I smiled. I didn’t want to kill her, but I did want her hurt. Maybe a bit later though. 

I pulled out my phone and redialled the last number that had called me. When she answered I felt slightly peaceful, there was something in her tone. 

“My information is well underway; I have an informant with me now. 
Her name? I did not find out her name. 
Okay well I’ll find out and let you know later. I am still seeing you later, right?
Okay great, I look forward to it.” 

Once I’d hung up I walked back to the girl and slapped her into consciousness. “Girl, what is your name?” 

She stared at me. “I thought you already knew.” 

She’s clearly an idiot. “If I knew, why would I be asking?!” 

“Some people lack common sense.” 

I glared at her, my fists clenching. I wanted to lash out again but I was afraid it might kill her. “Well? What’s your name?” 

“Evain.” 

My jaw dropped. Evain? As in the girl that the mystery woman wants? Well, looks like I killed two birds with one stone. I smirked and left the girl alone, I will seduce the woman tonight and then present her with the girl. Oh I love when things work out. 

Damon’s POV

At some point after helping Lizzie, Evain’s presence had disappeared from the mansion. I went upstairs to search for her and found the door to the studio open. This was Ailyn’s favourite room in the house. She would tell me tales of how it was haunted, a little girl laughing in the corner. 

I spotted an open journal on the floor, but the pages were blank. How unusual, it looked as old as mine, if not older. I brushed my hand across the page and nothing happen, not flaps with writing underneath, nothing. It was completely empty. 

I could smell Evain’s scent, it was in this spot, she was sitting right there when something happened. Something really bad, I could feel it. I shouldn’t have attacked her earlier; she might have still been with me. 

I rushed down to Lizzie’s room and Elijah sped past me, what was he fleeing from? 

“Brother!” 

He stopped quickly and turned to glare at me. “What do you want?” 

“Have you seen Evain?” 

He laughed slowly. “Haven’t you seen Evain? She is your lover now, is she not?” 

I clenched my jaw. “I don’t know where she is, I can’t sense her in the mansion anymore...” 

Elijah looked slightly worried. “Well she’s not in there with Lizzie, I just uh, came from there.” 

I raised my eyebrows at him, something had happened in there. “Well... I don’t know. Where’s Echo, didn’t she spend the night with you? Lowering your standards, brother.” 

He glared at me and resisted the urge to run at me. “She was in bed when I left her, I’m on my way to her now.” 

“Fine, let’s both go.” 

We walked in an awkward silence down the stairs and towards his room. When he reached out to push the door open, a series of bad thoughts flew through my mind. One of them being that she was with Echo in bed... Though I considered that an unlikely one. And the other being that Echo would be gone, and then we’d never know what happened to Evain.

As he pushed it open, I saw Echo curled up under the sheet, her bare shoulder visible through her blonde hair. 

“She hasn’t moved since this morning.” Elijah stated as he turned to me. “So let’s not pass blame.” 

I ignored him and went straight to Echo. “Have you seen Evain?” I wasn’t going to be making pleasant comments, I needed to know where Evain was and I needed to know now.

She looked at me sadly and pretended to wipe sleep from her eyes, but I could tell she hadn’t been sleeping. There were quite a few telltale signs. 

“I thought she was with you, you guys are together, right?”

I growled at her. “I’m not in the mood for games Echo, if you know where she is you have to tell me!”

Her eyes widened slowly. “Unless... But no, there’s no way...”

I stared at her expectantly. “Unless what?” 

“Unless Thunder took her.” 

I scoffed. “How would Thunder get in here?” 

“How else would she go missing? People don’t just disappear!” 

I mulled it over, she might have a point. In that case I needed to get there as quickly as possible, there’s no telling what he might be doing to her. I flinched at the thought of him touching her and making her want him. The darkness inside me was on the verge of overflowing, it would be useful in this fight. 

“Take me to him, and do it now!” 

She shot out of bed. “Fine, but first I have to get dressed and ...”

She kept talking but I had stopped listening. My thoughts were on Evain, there was only so much distance I could cover in my mind. I couldn’t hear her thoughts; I had no idea where she was, which direction, how far. 

“Just hurry up.” I spat at her, she was just being irritatingly slow now. 

Within moments we had set outside in the direction of Thunder’s hideout, or so Echo said anyway. 

“You could just let me teleport you, though that would mean touching me.” She muttered as we trekked through a field. 

“I am not touching you.” 

“Fine, but don’t complain to me if she’s not alive when we get there.” 

I rolled my eyes and bit down on my lip, she was really getting on my nerves. 

“Fine! But if this is just a ploy to distract me, then you’re dead.” 

She stared me down whilst holding out her hands. “Take them, go on.” 

I stared at her hands and then at the fields I had yet to cross. Sighing, I placed my hands in hers. 

_______________________________________________

Okay, I didn't know what to write for a while, but then it came to me quickly so here it is ^^
I love hearing from you guys, as you know. So leave ideas of what you want to happen/think will happen/fave character or just opinion in general :)

Comment and vote if you enjoy it :D x