Chapter 13

Damon’s POV

“Don’t be ridiculous, of course you want to be human again. You WILL be human again.” I looked at Evain and she was staring off into the distance shaking her head slowly.

“But I don’t think I do… I mean this feels amazing! Would you ever want to be human?” She shot at me.

I blanched; it had been decades since that thought had crossed my mind. I mean at one point, I was so withdrawn that I was wondering about an easy way out. But it was never that I became human and did it. I didn’t want to be human again; it was a limited lifetime full of pain and dull senses.

When I didn’t reply, she raised her eyebrows at me. “Well?”

“No, I don’t want to be human again. But that doesn’t mean you can’t be. You’ve experienced merely a day as a vampire; you have no idea how to control yourself or what you’re getting yourself into.”

She laughed, “And you did? Because I’m pretty sure Ailyn wasn’t the nurturing sort when she turned you.”

“…How did you know about that?” I focused in on her thoughts that were panicked; she had been reading all my personal journals. Great, just what I needed. “I can’t believe you did that.”

“It was a long time ago, Damon. Please.”

“Just don’t. And no more rubbish about wanting to stay like this, you’re going to be human again and I’m going to get it sorted right now.”

I didn’t wait for her response because I needed fresh air and I needed to get this sorted before things get worse. I closed the door and sped off towards the mansion, hopefully I can get everyone on side and Ailyn will reverse whatever it is that she’s done. And then maybe we can sort out what’s so stupidly special about Evain’s blood and why we start losing ourselves during withdrawals.

I pushed the door open with force and went straight upstairs to Evain’s old room, without bothering to knock; I barged straight in and found her walking around in her underwear.

“Why can’t you put some clothes on?!” I demanded.

She smirked, “I like my body, and I like the reactions of other people when they see me. They definitely like what they see. Did you know I am THIS close to getting back with Elijah? Well… More or less, he’s a bit moody at the moment, but I think in a couple of days everything will go according to plan.” She beamed at me. “Isn’t that great?”

“No, it’s not great. Back off from everyone right now. In fact, wait here whilst I get everyone together and expose who you are.”

She smiled and it sent shivers down my spine, “Go on then, I wonder how you’ll get them to believe you.” Ailyn sashayed up to me with a seductive look in her eyes. “Or better yet, stay here and we’ll have some fun, I know you want it and you must be dying for it.” She bit down on her lip and I tore my eyes off of her.

“Now that won’t be a good idea.”

“Why not? I can practically see how much you want to rip off my clothes and pin me down. It’ll be like old times, and I KNOW you used to like that.” She winked at me and brought her hand to a rest on my arm. It tingled slightly, but in a bad way. I could feel something horrible was going to happen and that’s the only thing that stopped me from doing just what she said.

“You wait right here whilst I go and get Elijah, he needs to know what’s going on.”

“Okay, maybe you can get him to join in on our fun.”

I shuddered in disgust and left the room.

Elijah’s POV

I need to get away from this place, it wasn’t doing me any good and thoughts of Evain with Damon just kept circling in my head.

I threw a glass at the wall and left the room, maybe I can move back into my old place for a while. Yes! Now that would be a good idea.

With thoughts of being back there in the comfort of my place, away from everyone here, my mood was beginning to lighten up.

I had a slight spring in my step as I headed across the way to the house but froze dead in my tracks when I saw a light on in the bedroom upstairs. Who was there? Everyone was in the mansion…

I approached the door carefully and opened it slowly so that it was barely audible. I slid myself in and went straight to the kitchen, grabbing a sharp knife for protection. I didn’t feel strong enough to go in unprepared.

I crept upstairs slowly towards my bedroom and pressed my hand on the door. I tried to sense who was inside but I felt nothing.

I took a deep breath and pushed it open and came face to face with my worst enemy.

“What the HELL are you doing here?!” I raised the knife in my hand as Ailyn backed into the wall, her eyes widening in shock or horror, I couldn’t tell.

“Elijah… Let me explain. Put down the knife and we can talk about this.” She tried to reason with me but I’d heard this shit before.

“Don’t! You nearly fucking killed her! Don’t you dare try and rationalise with me!” I made to move towards her, the knife still raised in the air.

She cowered away from me, her hands up in surrender, “Please, you don’t understand. Damon put me here to keep me safe.”

“He did WHAT?!” So Damon was on her side now? That explains a lot, the bastard. “He’ll pay for this too, don’t you worry about that. But you! You caused SO much trouble and she nearly DIED!”

She bowed her head, “Did I? Look, please Elijah, can’t you see it’s me? It’s Evain!”

I was right in front of her now and I had my knife pressed against her neck. I knew I couldn’t kill her that way, but I was happy to cause her some pain before that anyway. “What are you talking about? I don’t appreciate you trying to delay your inevitable fate.”

“I’m not Ailyn! Honestly! It’s me, Evain!” She seemed panicked, but then so would anyone with a knife pressed against their neck. “Why would I be this close? I’m not stupid! I told Damon to go and tell you all about me; you need to know that Ailyn’s been living with you.”

I backed away from her slightly and she immediately brought her hand to her neck, rubbing the bit where I had the knife pressed in. “This is ridiculous. You’re not even human and you expect me to believe this?”

“Please! Let me prove it to you.”

I backed up even further; I didn’t like the sound of this. “No, what are you going to do?”

“Remember when Damon left me at Lizzie’s? You came looking for me and the night that you got there, Lizzie pulled me into an embrace and kissed me. Do you remember that?”

I nodded slowly, “But… You can’t be. This can’t be… I was with Evain.” It hit me then and I couldn’t believe how foolish I had been. This was why she had been acting weird. This was why she couldn’t remember what happened with Damon and why she was all over him and then me in the same day. I can’t believe I didn’t realise earlier, I wasn’t living with Evain, and she had never been there. I wasn’t kissing her earlier, I was kissing Ailyn. Oh god…

I slid down the wall and leant my head back against the wall. I had my eyes closed and I was focusing on breathing, not that it was necessary, but it calmed me. A sick feeling was appearing deep in pit of my stomach and getting larger and larger. I had kissed Ailyn and held her…

“Are you okay? Can I… I don’t know, help you?” I opened my eyes and found her squatting down right in front of me, a few inches from my face. I took in all of her features that were silently screaming it was Ailyn, though a much cleaner and prettier version.

Before I knew what was happening, my hands were tangled up in her hair and I was on top of her, our mouths glued together.

I broke away slowly, “I’m so sorry… I didn’t mean to, you know.” I slid off of her and backed away. She looked at me sadly and sat up, her hair slightly messy. “I was just drawn to you, the real you, not because you look like Ailyn.”

She nodded slowly, “I have missed you, Elijah. I can’t tell you how sorry I am about the Damon thing.” I closed my eyes again and felt her sit down next to me and lean her head on my shoulder. I nodded and rested my head on hers.

“I know what you mean, even after what you did; I haven’t stopped thinking of you and thinking of us being together before. It’s what I cling on to when I’m alone. As sad as that sounds.”

She laughed a bit, “I don’t think it sounds sad at all, it’s quite sweet.”

“So what’s going to happen? Is Damon going to sort it out? Why didn’t he bring you in straight away to show us all?”

I turned to look at her and she sighed, “He said it wouldn’t be safe and that everyone would try and attack me, like you did when you saw me.”

“I’m so sorry about that, I really am. But—”

She pressed her fingers against my lips to hush me, “I don’t blame you. But that’s why I’m still here and why he’s over there trying to convince you about me.”

I snorted, “Yeah, I’m sure that’s what he was doing.”

“What’s that supposed to mean? What are you keeping from me, Elijah?”

I looked away from her eager and hopeful face, “You don’t want to know.”

“Oh trust me, I’m dying to hear what he’s done or not doing. Let me guess, he’s not told anyone about me?”

“Well he hasn’t told me. He spent some time alone with… Ailyn, god that’s weird… Anyway, I don’t know whether he told her anything, but I did happen to see them… Well, she was on top of him and—”

“I really don’t want to hear what they were doing.” She whispered sadly. “I thought he would have been trying to get me back. He seems hell bent on getting me back into my human form, yet he’s off there with her keeping me a secret in the dark.”

I felt bad, I didn’t know what to say, it was like she was forgotten about. “I’d never forget you.” I cupped the side of her face and pulled her closer to me until I was merely a centimetre from her. “May I?”

She nodded slowly and I leant in to kiss her. It wasn’t something that was fuelled with passion, it was gentle and caressing. It was like I was trying to fill her with more hope in order to make her feel better. She did respond, but with the same gentleness that I was using.

When I stopped kissing her, I didn’t move away from her, I wanted to keep her close. “Come with me.”

She looked confused, “Where? Do you mean back to the mansion?” I nodded encouragingly. “But… What if they try to attack me?”

I could understand her fear, it made perfect sense. “I promise I won’t let them harm you. But it’s Ailyn we need to worry about. Somehow I reckon she won’t easily give in to this confrontation that will happen. But who cares! You need to be back there and things need to be sorted between everyone.” I grabbed her hand and I moved to my feet. “Let’s go.”

She got to her feet swiftly before I could even blink, “Now? You really think it’s a good idea?”

“It’ll do no good to leave it longer whilst Ailyn’s worming her way into everyone’s lives.”

Evain nodded and took a deep breath, a human habit that is hard to kick, and we set off back towards the mansion.

Echo’s POV

Three hours later and I was still trying to get information out of her, it just seemed like it was no use because I wasn’t getting anywhere.

“Can I at least give you a name?” I had a headache, I was tired, cold and fed up with this so called training that wouldn’t let her give me any information.

“If you must.”

I looked her over; she had dark skin and curly black hair down to her shoulders yet her eyes shone a hazel colour that stood out in the dark. I smiled to myself, “How about Hazel?”

The name didn’t faze her; either that or she was good at hiding emotions. “Sure, whatever.”

“Good, do you think we can get to the court and maybe find any others that have survived?”

She stared off at the fire, “I highly doubt that, but what else can we do. Frankly I was surprised that you were okay.”

“But I wasn’t here. I haven’t been here for a while. You know you’re allowed to leave the Heavens, right?” I felt detached from here, like it wasn’t my home.

She looked at me incredulously, “Leave? We do not leave the Heavens. It was part of our training.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me…”

Hazel shook her head, “Completely serious. But we should go, I fear the darkness may return.”

“What is this darkness?!” It was getting annoying now, it was something that has destroyed everything here and was threatening to come back. I need to know what it was!

She looked at her bare feet sheepishly, “Maybe you should ask Damon.”

“Wait, you know Damon?”

“We all do! He is the one that’s involved with the darkness.”

I had a bad feeling of dread wash over me. They knew Damon, which in itself is bad enough, but that he was involved with this thing, this thing that’s destroyed the Heavens, that was unforgivable.

“Hazel, I would like you to come back with me for a few days. There’s something I need to do.” Damon is NOT getting away with this. 

__________________________________________________

Hi guys :)

I couldn't think of or find a photo suitable for this chapter so suggestions are welcome!  
Vote and comment, I do love hearing from you like I used to!