Chapter 3

Damon’s POV

I thought I would be stronger than this, I thought I could see the light in her eyes and just be happy for her. I was wrong. Bringing him back made her happy, happier than I had managed in the last couple of days. In fact, I think I just annoyed her.

The darkness was consuming me again; those poisonous thoughts were results of that. My sharp exit from the room, me wanting to stay and comfort her, being scared for her. It was all a result of the darkness welling up in me; I felt it overwhelming me as soon as her skin met my lips.

I heard Evain’s delightful thoughts as Elijah started to return to his usual self, I felt the way her mood lifted and how she felt comfortable around him. I heard them come upstairs and I moved out onto the balcony Evain was not aware I had. The sky was getting lighter and in the distance the sun was rising. I knew I couldn’t stay out here for long.

I heard Elijah open my door, walk over and come to a stop right behind me. “What are you doing out here?”

“Escaping. What are you doing here when Evain wanted you to stay with her?” As soon as it had left my lips, I wished I could take it back. I shouldn’t have admitted to actually reading her thoughts. He’s known for a long time that that had been my speciality, but never liked to talk about it. We could all influence humans, but only a few of us had even greater talents.

“How long have you been reading her mind?”

I turned round to face him and ignored his question. “Go back to her before I take your place. And don’t think I won’t!”

“Damon.” He warned.

“What? You can’t really say you’re surprised.” I threw back at him.

His face went blank for a second. “I will after you’ve answered some questions.”

I sighed and walked inside to sit on my bed, I ran through a hand through my hair and thought of a decent answer. “I can’t help it.”

“That’s not good enough Damon. Not to mention you now have a fallen angel after you because of your actions. That time you and Lizzie were together, you really fucked up.” The harsh words that fell from his mouth momentarily shocked me.

“Don’t talk to me about how I’ve acted in the past; you haven’t exactly been completely innocent yourself.” That silenced Elijah, but in truth what he had done was nowhere near as bad as what I had done.

“It’s really your fault that Ailyn has such a grudge against us and wants Evain badly. You had to go and take her power from her! You couldn’t just be happy with what you had? You had to destroy both our lives.” Elijah’s face was starting to go red.

I couldn’t meet his gaze as I realised he was right. I took everything from Ailyn and made her hate me, but why I took it was what he should have thought about. I had no other choice at that point. I wasn’t as high as Elijah thought I was. I was down on my luck, she had chosen him, been with him. I was jealous and I couldn’t handle it. I was slightly worried that history might repeat itself. But Evain was different. She wasn’t constantly flaunting herself in front of me. The fact that she and Elijah were together wasn’t being rubbed in my face. It was slightly more bearable.

“That wasn’t my intention and you know that.”

He snorted at me. “Who are you trying to convince? You were intent on ruining people’s lives, you succeeded. I have a good thing going right now, you have to stay around and I understand that. But do not mess this up, Damon!”

His words fell upon deaf ears. I couldn’t stay away from Evain, and even if I wanted to, the darkness inside of me wouldn’t.

“Get out.” I could feel it overflowing, and Elijah was safer outside of the room. He was in a bad state already and if he stayed then he would leave in a worse one.