Chapter 10

Lizzie’s POV

I stood there on the side watching Elijah see to Evain. He carefully laid her on his bed and he paced up and down.

“What if I didn’t give her enough?”

I smiled at him sympathetically, “I guess we’ll just have to wait and see…”

Apparently this was not a satisfying answer for him as he glared at me and knelt down beside her. I knew though, I just had this feeling, things were alright now. All we have to do is get Damon back, but I suppose that’s not really urgent.

“Maybe you should leave.” Elijah muttered slowly, not even bothering to look at me.

“…Why? She’s my friend.”

“You brought Echo into this house, you caused this.”

I staggered  back into the wall, his words cutting right through me. “You said that it was okay! You held me and told me you knew it wasn’t my fault!”

Silence.

After a few more minutes I left, I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Elijah’s POV

I felt slightly guilty about snapping at Lizzie. Slightly.

I was so focused on Evain, checking she was breathing. Hoping she would start moving or at least open her eyes…

“Evain? Please wake up…” I reached out and clasped her hand, I would wait here for hours if I had to.

But it was merely half an hour before her eyelids slowly fluttered open. When her eyes focused on me she almost flinched away.

“What… Where am I?” She looked around her, almost scared.

“Evain, it’s okay. I rescued you from what Ailyn had planned. Lizzie and I… We saved you!” I was smiling, my hand clasped round hers still.

“But…” Then a look of realisation seemed to dawn on her face. “Oh… Let me just… I just need to go to the … bathroom.”

I smiled at her, “Of course. I’ll be out here if you need help.” She nodded and slowly got to her feet before shuffling into the bathroom and locking the door.

Ailyn’s POV

I can’t believe it… This wasn’t supposed to happen. I was supposed to look youthful and have a healthier life than I would have if I had continued as I was before. But I was… Human?!

Yes, Evain and I look very alike, but there were subtle differences. And apart from the fact that I was feeling incredibly rough, I just felt and looked horribly human. I wanted to smash the room up, cause some destruction but luckily for me, I stopped myself before I hurt myself even more.

Great, now I actually have to be careful because I might die… I rolled my eyes.

Then it hit me, I could have fun with this. Elijah’s got puppy dog eyes when he looks at me, thinking I’m his precious Evain. Well, I could be whoever he wanted me to be. I smiled slowly and found that I could quite enjoy being Evain.

All I have to do is make sure that no one finds Evain before I do. Maybe I can reverse this and finally get what I intended originally.

Straightening myself out, I left the bathroom and found Elijah standing there with a puzzled look on his face. “Are you okay?”

I nodded and put on my sweetest smile, “Absolutely fine, thanks to you.” I moved towards him and went straight into his arms. But instead of his arms softening around me, he stiffened and slowly backed away.