Chapter 9

Elijah’s POV

The cottage loomed in front of us as we slowed down. We had to be careful yet quick... Everything could go so wrong.

Before we could take another step, Echo appeared right in front of me with a slight surprise on her face. “Oh. I didn’t think you knew where to go.”

I narrowed my eyes. “What are you doing here? Why didn’t you come back for us? We waited ages for you to turn up.”

I glanced at Lizzie who was acting strangely quiet when normally she loved confrontations.

“I got information from Damon to come here. It’s only an assumption.” Her eyes widened innocently, but I had been fooled by them before. 

“Sure.” I muttered, we didn’t have time for arguments about this. 

Echo turned on her heels and went to walk straight in. 

“No Echo, don’t go just yet. We need some sort of a plan.”

Without turning to look at me she replied with, “I don’t think there’s time for a plan.”

I sighed and followed her into the even grottier house, why couldn’t she look after it? It could actually be decent. 

We went straight to where it all happened last time, hoping things would be better this time, I so badly hoped things would be better. 

Echo gasped and I broke into a run.

Damon’s POV

I was lying on the grass, everything was kind of hazy. I took too much... The poor villagers, they didn’t know what was coming. 

Now what was I doing before I came here? 

I racked my brain, trying to remember even an inkling of what happened. Nothing. I shrugged and slowly got to my face, glancing at a girl on the floor. Her mouth was parted slightly, her eyes frozen in horror from when I attacked her. I almost turned away when something hit me. Dark hair... Fair skin... Evain!

Everything came flooding back to me, she was taken and I was supposed to go and help. Instead I selfishly fulfilled my own needs first. I could have kicked myself, had I enough time. 

I need to get to Ailyn’s house before it’s too late.

Lizzie’s POV

When I finally got into the room, I realised why Echo had gasped. There were two bodies lying unconsciously. One tied to a ... table? It was slanted and blood was everywhere. I almost had to walk back out again, I don’t know how Elijah could take it. The other body was next to the table, unconscious on the floor. No blood. 

I brought my hand slowly to my mouth. Evain’s blood was everywhere. “Is she...?”

Elijah walked over to Evain slowly and pressed his fingers to her neck. “Nearly, her pulse is so, so weak.” Relief flooded through me straight away, we hadn’t lost her just yet. 

I stood back as Elijah untied Evain gently and brought her out of the room and laid her on the floor before cutting open his wrist. 

“Elijah... It might not work. I mean, she’s lost quite a lot of blood.” Echo whispered from behind us. 

I spun to glare at her, this was all her fault. “Don’t even get involved right now, this is all your fault.” Tears welled in her eyes and she stepped back, keeping quite. 

Elijah pressed his wrist to her mouth, forcing the blood down her throat. Moments passed and the tension in the room could be cut with a knife. Eventually we got a response from Evain as she unconsciously drank from Elijah before falling asleep again. She must just be healing.

“We need to get her away from here, we don’t know what happened, but I don’t want to stick around and see if Ailyn wakes up...”

Elijah looked at me and nodded then turned to Echo, a pleading look in his eyes. Echo nodded and reached out her hands to us. Everything went black and I felt claustrophobic, but before I knew it, we were back outside the mansion. 

“Thank you Echo, but I think it would be best, if you didn’t come in right now.” Elijah didn’t wait for a response as he motioned for me to follow, Evain secure in his arms.

Damon’s POV

I got there quicker than I thought, it must be all the blood I consumed. 

The door was off its hinges but it looked empty. Ignoring the mess and bad feeling, I headed in, the smell of blood was already in the air. I followed it straight to find a body lying on the floor. There was an overturned table with blood everywhere, yet from what I could tell, this wasn’t Evain, it was Ailyn. I could only assume Echo had gotten here and taken Evain. 

I was about to leave when I heard Ailyn stirring on the floor. She looked so much like Evain, but lacked the light in her eyes, she always had. “Don’t come near me, I’m in the mood to kill you.” I threatened. 

A look of confusion appeared on her face. “Kill me? Why? Why do I feel so strange? Damon, you found me in time!” 

I narrowed my eyes, what was she playing at this time. “Found you? I’ve been avoiding you for so long. Strange? Maybe because you shouldn’t mess with us, people end up hurt when they do.” 

She pulled herself to her feet and nearly fell over. “Wow, I got up really quickly. Too quickly... Damon? What’s wrong with me?” She was starting to look panicky.

I grabbed her by the throat and slammed her into the wall. “Don’t fuck with me, Ailyn. You’ve caused enough problems with your mind games. Taking Evain from us, nearly killing her! You want me to be nice to you?!” 

Her hands were clutching at mine to let go. “Ailyn? I’m not Ailyn. I’m Evain.” 

I nearly laughed. “Evain? You really will go to any length to get out of anything.” 

Her eyes widened. “You don’t believe me?”

“Why would I ever believe you?!” I let go and she slid to the floor, tears welling in her eyes. 

“I don’t know what’s happened to me. Why am I like this? I feel so cold... So ... Thirsty.”

I rolled my eyes, “Forget it, I need to go and see if Evain’s okay.”

She moved suddenly and clung to my leg. “Please Damon, please don’t leave me here. I don’t know where I am! One minute Ailyn was looking at me with a knife in her hand... Oh OH she stabbed me! She made a weird pattern in my stomach, look!” 

She raised her black top to reveal... Nothing. Just a toned stomach. “You’re pathetic.”

“No please, just hear me out.” 

“Okay, I’m listening.”

“You... You found me in an alleyway.” She was struggling to find memories but that stuck out in my head. But Ailyn could have known that. I gestured for her to continue. 

“I... We... slept together.” Yeah, because Ailyn and I had never done that. I rolled my eyes. “But it was my first time, and you blindfolded me. And I went into the maze and nearly died. You killed that vampire, remember?” 

My eyes widened, “How did you...” 

“And then someone came looking for me, and you made me hide downstairs whilst you fed me messages into my head...” 

I shrank back against the wall. It couldn’t be, this here is a vampire. Evain’s not a vampire... Her eyes are dull, everything about her screamed Ailyn at me, but the stories were Evain’s. 

“Evain?” I whispered, not daring to believe it myself.

A small smile appeared on her face. It was genuine happiness, nothing sinister or sly like Ailyn’s smiles. “You believe me?”

I nodded slowly, this can’t be happening...

__________________________________________

Told you it'd be here soon. Working on Chapter 10 and should be up in a few days.

Vote, comment and I hope you enjoyed!