CHAPTER ONE√

Winston

He stared at the horizon, the sky a deep purple blue as the sun disappeared for the day. He sighed and ran his large hand, covered with prominent veins over his barely there hair. He lied down on the fluttering grass and simply stared blankly. He rubbed his hand over his chest as a dull ache made its presence known. His large chest rose and fell unevenly as he struggled to keep his breath constant. He could only feel the soft presence of his wolf, faint but still there, still hopeful.

^I'm sorry. Winston sighed into his apology, his heart weeped silently into the growing night as he closed his eyes, willing his wolf to speak, to show any sign of life.

^It wasn't your fault. He had already tied himself to someone else. His wolf, Caesar, answered weakly.

^Yeah, but, I feel like I could have tried harder, you know? Convince him to move on. Winston could see it now, his smile, so hesitant but there nonetheless.

^It was a fresh wound, Winston, one to deep to heal. His wolf tried to comfort him, but it was futile, his wolf also needed comfort, one only his other half could provide, if he were there. They lapsed into silence, broken only by the sudden howl of the wind and the whispers of the trees. It was peaceful, balanced and calming. It was only the thought that ruined the serenity, the haunting truth, the nightmare which crept up to him at any given time and captured his thoughts and left with his soul.

The air was thick, the smell of metal filtered through his nose. His chest heaved up and down as he caught every bit of oxygen he could. His eyes scanned the area around the field, the bodies of dead rogues littered the ground and only one or two fallen warrior on their team. His Alpha stood strong and proud, a look of satisfaction on his strong features.

It was done.

The fight was over and all was well, and then he turned to face the rest of the pack who grinned tiredly but raised their fists in the air and cheered in victory. Another battle won, another victorious success and another loss. He stopped dead in his tracks as the familiar body crumpled before him, gurgled and spluttered out blood. Familiar green eyes stared up at him in pain.

"No! "He bellowed and ran, crashing onto his knees, close enough to the other man." No, "He grasped his head and held him as he spluttered and gasped, choking on his own metallic tasting blood."Ricardo," he whispered, and then the tears began to fall. "Why?" The man wheezed and weakly lifted his hand up and touched Winston's cheek.

"I'm sorry. " He struggled out, tears falling down Ricardo's face, turning a pale shade of red as they ran over the stained skin. Winston sniffed, his chest aching. Why would he do this? After being told to stay with the others, he came. Why?

"You shouldn't have come. You shouldn't have. "He whispered as he began rocking back and forth, Ricardo's face to his cheek. Winston sobbed softly and stared down at the face of his one and only other half." I can't live without you. "

He watched, transfixed as Ricardo's eyes dulled down, staring up at the sky with hope and Winston cried. How could this happen, why was destiny so cruel? He asked. He tightened his arms around him. His head snapped up as a strong and larger hand came onto his shoulder. He looked across the field to the parting crowd and he watched as his other Alpha emerged, dressed in black. Winston stood, grabbing Ricardo's limp and lifeless body in the his arms.

"Please," He choked on a sob. "Please, Alpha, save him. "He begged helplessly and was met with a frown and saddened blue eyes." Please, bring him back to me, Elijah, please." Silence answered and he turned to his other Alpha, much bigger than Elijah before turning. "I will do anything," he cried as he fell to his knees. He bowed his head in submission and hopelessness. Winston felt so useless, so incapable. His heart was breaking with each passing moment.