Chapter Forty-Seven ; Prison Bars

Harry dug his hand in my hair, not daring to say a word. Jonah was crushed. He was rubbing his forehead, muttering some thing like 'shit' over and over. Max had his back, trying to reassure him that none of this was his fault. I watched in pure hate as the police officers shoved my mother into a car, saying her rights loud enough for everyone to hear before driving away.

I sighed. I didn't want to go into questioning again. I didn't want Jonah to go through this, I didn't want to admit that my mother was a monster. I never wanted any of this to happen, but I felt no sympathy for her. Just for Jonah.

There was nothing I could do.

I couldn't comfort him. There was nothing I could say to make him feel better. I just watched him struggle to bite back tears, feeling awfully sorry for Harry and Jonah and Robbie and Max and Lucas and even Dad. I now understood why he was so bitter.

I wondered if he knew that she was doing this to his son. I don't think he did; Dad didn't sit back and let bad things happen to his kids if he could do anything about it. And if I knew him, he wouldn't hesitate to call the police on her. He hated her.

My eyes met Dad's. His eyes were still cool, but there was warmth in them that I had never seen before. We understood eachother, at last.

My mom had a brother; Charlie's father. I also wondered how he would find out. Would one of us tell him? The police? Would Mom herself, from jail, break the news? I figured it would probably be the police department. Robbie was part of the police, now. Would he tell him? I sure as hell wasn't. I was still in denial. Jonah physically couldn't. Max would crack, and Luke wouldn't be able to get the words out of his mouth. Robbie was the only one with a heart of stone. I guess he got it from Dad.

I glanced back at Jonah, suddenly wishing I hadn't. He looked awful. He wasn't crying, but he was extremely pale and his eyes were bloodshot. He wasn't trembling either, which was surprising because he normally has trouble with that, especially under a certain amount of pressure. I wanted to go and hug him and tell him it was going to be alright, but I knew he wouldn't believe me.

I still didn't understand why he still loved her. She barely did anything directly towards me and I still hate her with a fiery passion. But he was Jonah, and Jonah loves everyone.

----

"Claire.. Please. Please forgive me."

I stared into Madeline's pleading blue eyes, utterly ashamed to be named after her. I didn't respond through the glass, a small smirk playing in my lips.

"I didn't know what I was doing.. I was drunk half of the time.. Please... You have to believe me.."

"Bullshit," I muttered, staring her down through narrowed eyes. "Though I have to say; that orange jumpsuit really brings out your eyes. I'm sure those are the same eyes you used to see which part of J's face you wanted bruise. Correct me if I'm wrong."

I smile sweetly, watching her face twist into a grotesque mix of horror and shock and remorse.

"I'm going to tell you this just once," I hissed, leaning in so my face was pressed up against the glass, "if you think your same little mind games and manipulative tricks will work on me to bail you out the way they worked on Dad, you are sadly mistaken. Madeline."

"I am your mother," she snarled. "Whether you like it or not. You are pathetic, to watch your own mom suffer from locked walls from something that wasn't her fault!"

"Funny; I don't feel a thing. But would you kindly explain to me how this whole hot mess you made isn't your fault? It boggles my mind."

"It was the alcohol!" she cried, on the verge of tears.