Chapter Thirty-Eight ; The Haunting Tide

Harry's P.O.V.

We had a free day after Clarissa left. All to ourselves, unless we left the hotel. Then it was all to ourselves and the paparazzi. It was really nice, just to have a break. I love singing, though, don't get me wrong. But there's a lot of pressure, and it felt nice to have it all off of our shoulders for one day. Basically we all met up at Liam's room and goofed around.

I squinted at Zayn, who was whispering to Louis and snickering while Liam and Niall faced off at Mario Kart.

"What are you giggling about, girls?"

"You thought we wouldn't notice?" Louis asked with mock offense.

"Notice what?"

"Your little love bite, you whore," Zayn replied smugly, tossing at glance at Louis who threw a pillow at a yelling Niall, telling him to shut up.

"Did you go all the way?"

"Did you take away her-"

"No and no," I answered firmly, hoping I was right. I didn't remember much about it. I'm pretty sure I didn't take her virginity, though. Normally I'd say 'yet' after thinking about that, but I'm not sure if Claire would want that. "We were just fooling around a bit."

Louis bit his tongue. "She any good?"

"Good at what?" I asked, playing dumb.

Louis grunted loudly. "Don't be cute, Harold. You know what. Is she good in bed?"

My mind flashed back to when she tricked me into thinking that I went too far and then fought back. I smirked slyly and bit my lip. "Yep."

Zayn and Louis exchanged amused glances just as Liam threw his hands up in the air and shouted, "Victory!" while Niall hung his head in defeat. Liam's head swiveled towards us. "Anyone care to challenge the master?"

Zayn grinned and got up. "Bring it."

I watched him walk over to Liam, Niall heading for the kitchen. Typical. I nearly had a heart attack when I found Louis dangerously close to my face.

"Do you love her?" he asked in a hushed whisper. I swallowed and nodded in all honesty. He sat back next to me. "Did she tell you about her family."

My mouth twitched. "Not really. When I bring it up, she changes the subject," I said softly, remembering when we were talking out in the sand the other night.

Louis licked his lips, his eyes turning to the floor. "Her mom hit her brother, Jonah, once."

My mouth dropped open, my eyes threatening to fall right out of my skull. "She-she never told me that.."

How much did she like Louis? A lot, probably, if she told him about that. It sickened me to think about whether she still had feelings about him. Just the possibility made me want to cry, but I wouldn't allow myself to.

That's why she changes the topic from her family all of the time. Why wouldn't she want to tell me? I wanted to know these things. Growing up, having to deal with that.. Maybe that's why she felt so scared all of the time. She puts on her game face and lies that she's okay, she's not afraid, but in the end she's still just a kid. In the end, we're all just kids.

I was silent after this. I didn't know what to say.

"Do you still like her, Louis?"

Louis' gaze snapped to me. He blinked and glanced away, then back to me. "No."

I knew he was telling the truth. When you're so close to someone like I was with Louis, you can just tell.

"Do you think she still likes you?"