Chapter Twenty-Four ; Just Friends, Only Friends

The wind whipped what was left of my hair around, some of the locks smacking me in the face with a sting. It was too short to be put up in a ponytail, I realized in dismay. Harry wouldn't like it, I don't think. didn't like it, though it gave me a new edge. I felt pretty badass, once again like Rapunzel in Tangled at the very end when she finally got Flynn, just like I finally got Harry. I touched the ends of my hair, choppy and uneven, but decided I had more important things to worry about then how my hair looked.

It was very cold, walking outside with only a jacket and jeans on. I quickened my pace, impatient to get inside. I stared down at the address written on my hand, glancing up at all of the houses on the street. It was a quaint little town, all of the houses either made of red brick or painted white. It wasn't that far from home, but still far enough away that none of the hooligans would find me. At least, I hoped so. 

My eyes finally laid upon Jared's house. Well, I guess his parents' house, now. I jogged up the drive, hesitating. What would they say? Would they let me stay with them? Would they even want to see me? It was worth a try. I would only stay one night, before I figure everything out. I hoped Robbie wouldn't call the police on me. Maybe Jonah would persuade him not to. I bit my lip and lightly rapped on the door. 

There was some shuffling inside, right before someone familiar opened the door for me. His dark hazel eyes went wide, light light brown hair swept towards the side of his face. He was wearing slouchy black jeans and a red Billie Joe Armstrong t-shirt that tightened around his biceps.

"Clarissa?"

"Miles?"

"What are you doing here?"

"I was just about to ask you the same thing."

I heard a familiar feminine voice from inside the house. "Miles, who's at the door?" 

Jared's mother came around from out of the hall. "Claire? Is that you?"

I nodded weakly, putting on a fake smile.

"Bless my soul," she whispered. She pushed Miles out of the way. "Don't be rude, Miles. C'mon in, darling, it's freezing out there."

Mrs. Finnegan gestured for me to sit on the couch, so I did. 

"I haven't seen you in years, Claire. What have you been up to?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but she cut me off. "I saw you on the news! Just yesterday!" She nudged Miles. "Didn't we, Miles?"

He nodded, cheeks flushing in embarassment. I smiled weakly, then said, "Yeah, I guess I'm pretty popular, now."

"Why did you decide to come here?" Miles asked. It wasn't in annoyance, at least, I hope it wasn't. Didn't sound like he was annoyed by me.

"Actually.. well, uhm, with the school shooting.. uh, when I came home, "I stammered, trying to think of of a better way to explain. "Some of the guys from the casino threw a brick into our window and almost hit Luke."

Mrs. Finnegan's eyes widened, her mouth forming an almost perfect 'o'.  Miles' eyes went wide, too.

"He's okay, right?" he asked. Miles met some of my brothers once; Luke, Jonah, and Max, and I think Jared mentioned something about him being his cousin. That must be why he was here. 

"Yeah, he's fine. But I realized I was putting my family in danger, so.. I left. And that's why I'm here." 

The both kind of stared at me for a moment before Mrs. Finnegan pulled me into a big hug. 

"You stay as long as you like, sweetie," I heard her say. I was surprised that she was this friendly towards me, even though I was Jared's girlfriend. Did she not see all of the crimes I had committed on the news yet?